Interrogation

"When the heart is forced into something, it goes blind."
~Imam Ali

Dom

Mom and dad allowed the twins to get some rest and have their clothes cleaned before their interrogation. I wasn't allowed to be in the office during that time, so I watched over Spencer, who remained passed out on the couch. The O'Connor kids sat with me. Natalie and James O'Connor- my parents' Betas- were in the office with their Alphas. I wondered what was being said, but thanks to the soundproof doors and walls, I had no chance of knowing.

"Why are you defending the Laroches?" Brian asked quietly, staring into the fire roaring in the fireplace. All heads looked up at me, except for my sister.

"Because I care more about my brother's health than I do about any feud. Who knows how long it would've taken us to find him if the twins hadn't come along," I replied. I tried not to sound too defensive or angry to avoid invoking an argument, but Callie only knew 'no or go.' She either fought, or she didn't. There was no in-between. Unsurprisingly, she chose to fight.

"Spencer would've survived without them!" she argued. "I don't trust the twins, especially Elsa. She cares way too much about us, and to be honest, I find it suspicious. What I find even more suspicious is how you and Spencer are both defending the Laroches. Since when did you put their opinions over your pack's?"

A growl involuntarily escaped from my throat. "What are you implying?"

"I'm implying you're sneaking around with them just as much as Spencer," she retorted.

"What the hell are you talking about?"

"I've smelled perfume on him. I couldn't figure out why or whose it was until she came in. It was faint but unmistakable." Callie's bravado was gone. "I saw the way he was looking at her when she was hit by that truck. I saw the way she looked back at him. You can't tell me they're just friends."

I noticed Rey hang her head, but she said nothing

I noticed Rey hang her head, but she said nothing. She was still keeping Spencer's secret, even from her own sister. I wasn't going to oust hers or my brother's. That was theirs to tell.

"All I know is they found a lot of common ground when they had classes together. I know they're good friends. They care about each other. But if you want a full explanation, you'll need to ask him. I don't know much else."

"Rey? You know anything that Dom isn't telling?" Callie stared her sister down, challenging her to lie.

My brother's Beta refused to be intimidated, though, and said, "I know as much as Dom does."

Callie started to say something else when the doorbell rang. We all shared a look, wondering who could be calling this late at night.

My dad announced he had it, and for some reason, I knew Elsa and Anna were no longer the only Laroches here.