Cutting Ties

"Love meant that you care for another person's happiness more than your own, no matter how painful the choices you face might be."

~Nicholas Sparks

Dom

After the conversation with my parents, I cut ties with Anna. God knows it's the last thing I wanted to do, but it was for her safety. Sometimes doing what was best for another wasn't the best thing for yourself.

I tried to have some decency by texting her that we needed to cut ties. She replied with 'okay,' which bugged me, but I couldn't do anything about it. I suspected she wouldn't respond anyway if I did. It'd been a little over a month since I'd seen her, and I was going crazy. If I felt this way about her, I could only imagine what Spencer was going through with Elsa.

He'd ended his relationship with Elsa via text too. I wondered how well he'd held up his decision. Not being able to talk to her was tearing him apart, I could see it. Everyone could, although they attributed it to his objection to the betrothal, not to Elsa.

Spencer rarely spoke since the night of the announcement. Not even I or Rey could get through to him. He did assure us, however, on a rare occasion he spoke, that he wasn't upset with us. I wondered how much he'd talk today...

"You ready?" Dad asked, standing in my doorway. We were getting our tuxedos tailored today. Brian, being a groomsman, was coming with us. I was Best Man.

"Yeah," I replied, grabbing my jacket. Following dad downstairs, I found mom in the kitchen counter with Lily, Brian, and Spencer. The former two chatted amiably; my brother was unsurprisingly quiet.

"Let's get going everyone," dad said. My brother got up wordlessly from his seat. Our parents shared a look. It was easy to figure out they thought he would've moved on from Elsa by now. If they only knew their son found true love in a Laroche.

 If they only knew their son found true love in a Laroche

Dad, Lily, Brian, and I went to the car. Spencer took the passenger seat while the rest of us took the back. Pulling out of the garage, Dad said, "I need to talk to you about something. Per tradition, it's customary to invite packs in the area to the wedding."

"What?" Spencer demanded. It was the first time he said something to our parents that hadn't required him to respond. I could see dad flick his eyes over briefly at him before cautiously continuing.

"Your mother and I sent invitations to the Laroches, and they've accepted. They've given us an invitation in return. Their son, Hunter, is marrying Josilyn McKay." I remembered Anna showing me a picture of her, Elsa, and Josilyn. Josie was like their third sister and was the sweetest of their pack. It made me wonder how a girl like her ended up with Hunter Laroche.

"Are you warning us or...?" I prodded.

"Your mother and I will need help keeping the others in line at the wedding. I'm mainly concerned about Jack, Max, and Emily."