The Controllers: Part 1

"Hell is empty and all the devils are here."
~William Shakespeare

Anna

The next few days were silent at the compound. According to Dom, it was similar at his. No one dared to breathe Elsa's name, or Finn's and Killian's. It was as if they'd never existed at all—the only reminder being their lingering scent.

Caleb constantly asked me how I was doing, and I'd always tell him I was okay, even though I wasn't. Hunter was always asking me to join in on patrols; I guess he thought keeping me busy would keep my mind off of Elsa.

But it wouldn't.

Elsa and I stayed in touch through our twin connection, but for my safety and hers, she wouldn't tell me where she was. These people- the Controllers, she called them- scared her. I wanted to talk to Dom about it, but I didn't dare mention them over text. For all I knew, they were able to read our conversations.

I was patrolling with Thea and Sebastian when we were called back by my parents via a long, low howl. Whatever they needed us for, it certainly wasn't good news. I prayed they hadn't caught Elsa and the others.

The three of us headed back to the compound, where we found the rest of our pack congregated outside. I scanned around for my parents. They were nowhere to be seen. Shiloh and Loren were in a heated discussion a few yards away from the pack, keeping their voices low to avoid being overheard.

Suddenly, all conversations came to a halt, and everyone shifted their attention to my house. Mom and dad stood on our front porch with four people I'd never seen before. The man was tall, had hair black as night, and eyes the color of the ocean. If the malicious expression weren't on his face, he'd be devastatingly handsome.

 If the malicious expression weren't on his face, he'd be devastatingly handsome

The woman next to him was close to my mom's height, albeit slightly shorter. She had pale green eyes and long, wavy blonde hair. Her features were soft, but her attire suggested the complete opposite.

 Her features were soft, but her attire suggested the complete opposite

Two kids flanked them: a boy and a girl. They were probably close to my age, if not slightly older. Both took on after their mother with their facial features and hair, but they had their father's piercing blue eyes. The boy's eyes landed on me, and all the hair on the back of my neck stood up. I didn't like him.