Fraternizing

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds."
~Albert Einstein

Spencer

Arriving at our hideout, the place was just as I remembered: cozy, remote, and in desperate need of repair.

"This is... this is..." Finn trailed off, trying to find words.

Rey finished for him. "Dilapidated. Spencer, when you said you had a hideout, I thought it'd be better than this."

"We're on the run, guys

"We're on the run, guys. I'll make some calls tomorrow and get repairmen out here ASAP. For now, let's get our stuff inside. I promise the inside isn't as bad as the outside," I said, picking up the key I'd hidden in a loose rock.

Leading everyone inside, I realized nothing had changed from the last time I was here. Thick dust covered the foyer rug; the wooden floorboards creaked wherever you stepped, and the wall had a hole in it.

Rey peered around Finn to look at me. "This is better?"

"The rug just needs a good vacuuming," Elsa said, sliding her shoe across the dust and revealing the beginnings of a rich, blue color. "Floorboards need to be replaced. That hole needs to be drywalled. For a place subjected to the elements for so long, it could be in worse shape."

"Let's go explore," Killian suggested. He set down his bags before veering off into the dining room, Emma and Ellie following him. Finn and Rey sought the kitchen. Meanwhile, I took Elsa's hand, guiding her up the stairs to the master bedroom, the place that had taken my breath away when I'd seen it.

"Whoa," Elsa breathed upon entering the room. She stared at the stone fireplace that ran from floor to ceiling; the glass chandelier dangling above us; the king-sized master bed opposite the fireplace, cushy duvet and all; the sweeping views of the mountains outside courtesy of the floor-to-ceiling windows. "This is- are all the rooms this amazing?"

"They're all pretty great, but this one's the best," I said, scanning the room. "Everything works, even the heating, but with some of the windows busted out, that's probably not the smartest thing. All the rooms have a fireplace, and the water is running. We might not want to drink it quite yet, but we can get on that tomorrow. I know it's not what we're used to but-"

Elsa brought her lips to mine, effectively shutting me up. My hands gripped her waist, pulling her body as close to mine as physically possible. It still amazed me that we'd pulled it off, almost like we were in a dream. But right here, right now, it reminded me this was very much real.

"What do you say we unpack our things and start getting this place fixed up? I'll see if there's anything we can find to board up the busted windows," Elsa offered.

"We've been driving all day. You sure you're up to it?"

"Yeah! Besides, I'm kind of wired. If you want to sleep, then do it. You're still recovering from your injuries." Elsa's fingers traced lightly over my wounds. "Do you need anything for the pain?"