Wandering Souls

"Having somewhere to go is home. Having someone to love is family. Having both is a blessing."
~Unknown

Dom

When my parents called me for a meeting, I naturally panicked. I wondered if they'd found out about my rendezvous with Anna,.

Entering the office, mom, dad, and the Lawmans sat at the conference table. I took a seat away from the Controllers, ignoring the fear coursing through my veins. "You wanted to see me?"

Mom nodded. "As you know, all Alphas must have a mate before they lead the pack. Therefore, we'll be marrying you and Callie. There are other issues we must attend before we plan the wedding, but I implore you to spend time with her beforehand," Mom said.

"Callie will make a great alpha," I agreed, meeting my parents' gaze. I could tell they hated this plan. In fact, it probably wasn't their idea at all, but they needed me to agree to this. Whatever leverage the Lawmans had, it was big. Besides, they could kill us quickly and easily. Until we knew how to fight back, we couldn't risk their wrath. "Does Callie know?"

"No, we talk to her after you

"No, we talk to her after you."

"I'm surprised you're not fighting this," Josiah remarked.

"I'm not Spencer. I put my pack above everything else."

"Do continue following that belief. It will save you and the rest of your pack from a lot of heartbreak," Gillian said. I met her gaze, and nodded, despite my seething rage. I didn't take kindly to threats. However, I'd bide my time, wait for the right moment to strike. Now wasn't that time.

"Have the traitors tried contacting you?" Mom asked, keeping her voice level.

"No. If they do, you'll be the first to know."

"We will be the first. You may be your parents' son, but your loyalty is to us, not them," Gillian warned, eyes glinting dangerously.

"Of course," I said, bowing my head slightly. "May I be dismissed? I have work I need to finish."

"You're dismissed." I hid my scowl until I left the office. If I hated the Lawmans before, I wanted them dead now. You don't threaten my family. That's a good way to get yourself killed.

As I walked past Lily's room, someone yanked me inside and slammed the door. Bewildered, I found Lily standing in front of me with her arms crossed. She demanded, "Are they seriously going to marry you to Callie?"

"You were eavesdropping?"

"Yes!" Lily snapped. "I just saw a packmate murdered before my eyes. You think I'm going to trust anyone around the Lawmans?"

"Keep your voice down!" I hissed. "We don't know if these walls have ears. If you want to talk about this, then we talk as wolves."

"Fine. Let's go."