The Truth Comes Out

"A heart can no more be forced to love than a stomach can be forced to digest food by persuasion."
~Alfred Nobel

"What are you two doing in our house?" Lily demanded.

"We're here for our sisters," Caleb said stiffly. Strangely, his eyes stayed on only my sister.

"Where's the office?" Hunter inquired.

"Right here," Ren's voice piped up, coming into view. His eyes widened at the sight of my brother. "Chris, Hayley, he's up!"

I could hear chairs scraping before my parents burst into the living. Mom frowned and ordered, "Sit down this instant before you injure yourself anymore."

"I'm fine. Why are the Laroches here? Why are you interrogating Elsa and Anna?" Spencer said, grasping my shoulder in a vise-like grip. He was not fine at all but was refusing to let our parents or anyone else see that.

"Ren and Arya here to take their daughters back home, and we wanted to know what happened when they found you," dad explained.

"You think they had something to do with it?"

"Did they?" Callie asked.

"Don't you dare accuse my sisters of-" Hunter snapped angrily, but Arya placed a hand on his shoulder, causing him to stop. It didn't prevent the death glare he skewered us with.

"They saved my life. I don't know who it was that attacked me, but it wasn't them," Spencer assured. "Where are they?"

"Still in the office. Now sit down. You're not fooling anyone by continuing to stand," Mom said in slight exasperation. "You're as stubborn as your father."

"Actually, that stubbornness comes from you. The recklessness comes from me," dad noted. Mom glowered at him.

"I want to thank them for saving my life," Spencer said.

"I'll get them if you sit down," mom bargained.

"I'll sit down if you get them."

"Or I could move and let you fall to the ground," I suggested.

"You wouldn't."

"I would."

"Boys, stop. Chris, go get them," Mom said. Dad disappeared for a few moments, leaving us all in awkward silence. Ren and Arya were staring at Spencer; Caleb and Hunter were staring down Lily and me, respectively.

"Spencer!" the twins exclaimed when they entered the living room.

"What are you doing standing up?" Anna asked.

"You should be sitting down," Elsa added.

"Why does everyone keep saying that? I'm fine," he protested.

"Because you lost a shit ton of blood," the twins said simultaneously. I turned my head towards my brother with an 'I told you so' expression. He ignored it.

 He ignored it