Live A Little

"Do people always fall in love with things they can't have?"
~Patricia Smith

"Elsa, do you know who the second bouquet is from?" Josie asked, greatly intrigued by my mysterious suitor.

"Well, I mean, one of them is from Hunter and Caleb, which is nothing new, but I have no idea who the other bouquet is from."

"Your family isn't going to like that you have a secret admirer..."

"I'll relieve them of any worries they have about my unknown suitor. Don't worry." She dropped the subject, but I knew this wasn't the last I'd heard of it.

AP Psychology always flew by because I enjoyed the class, and today was no exception. I had no idea why I found it so fascinating. To me, it was fun learning about people's brains and why they do what they do and about mental disorders. Josie felt the same way, so we always discussed it whenever we could. Just after half-past eleven, the bell rang. The two of us scurried to our locker to drop off our stuff and hurry downstairs for lunch. We had an off period in between, allowing us to have an extended lunch.

"Do you want to explain to me why you have two bouquets of roses?" Anna inquired, holding one of her own.

"One's from our lovely brothers. The other one, I have no idea. Maybe a mystery suitor or something."

"It looks like I'm the only one without a guy," Anna grumbled.

"Hey, it's not like I'm going to be interested in whoever it is. No humans allowed, remember? And Akira doesn't have a guy either. Besides, the only good looking guys are in the Stark pack, and they're off-limits." I shut my locker. "Okay, off to get Mexican food?"

"I called ahead, and it's booked. I thought we could go somewhere else. I was thinking something simple, like the cute little sandwich café a few blocks down? The weather is relatively nice, and it only takes five minutes to walk there. We can put our roses in the car and take them back in when we get back."

"Sounds like a plan. Let's go. I'm starved!"

We made our way to lunch, and it was nice to have some downtime with the two girls I was closest to in my life. Although we wanted to stay awhile, we ended up going back to school early because the café started getting busy, and we didn't want to hog a table.

Both Anna and Josie went to their classes early. I chilled in the hallway, putting stuff into my backpack while making sure I didn't crush my roses. Easier said than done, let me tell you.

"Need some help?" Stark's voice sounded from behind me.

"No, I got it. Thank you, though." I shut my locker and faced him. "I'm not ready for another AP Literature lesson talking about the same book we finished three months ago."

The two of us started walking down the hallway, and Spencer asked, "Did you do Pride and Prejudice?"

"Yeah. I've already read it, so it was easy for me to choose it. You?"

"I chose it too. I wanted to see what all the hype was about. I can barely understand the language in it, though."

"Watch the movie with Keira Knightley in it. Trust me, the book makes so much more sense afterward."

"Will do. I might get my sister to watch it with me because I know she's seen it and she can help explain to me what's going on. I'd ask you, but having you come to my house may cause a few problems."

"I'd be dead. Literally."

"I wouldn't let that happen, but I also can't stop my whole pack. Pretty roses, by the way. Who are they from?"