See You Again

(11 years later)

I sat at the desk of my quaint New York apartment and finished tying up my sneakers for class. After I graduated college, I packed up my things and hit the Big Apple and opened up my own dance studio in downtown New York. Once I finished tying up my last lace, I headed out the door and made my way to a nearby coffee shop to get myself a morning head start. The streets of New York were buzzing with life as I made my way down the street, people chatting on their bulky phones, and people rushing to get to work on time was the daily routine in this town. Luckily, my first class wasn't until 9:45 which meant that I actually had some extra time to spare. I stood at the back of the long line patiently and tapped my foot to the music wavering above everyone's heads, but my tapping soon came to an end as the news reporter began the daily news. All of the breath I had in me got stuck in my throat as I caught a glimpse of the news report, an image of the last person I wanted to see came on.

"The world's biggest pop sensation Michael Jackson has scheduled to be in New York for the upcoming release in his new album Bad. The singer states that the album will be released all around the world today, but he will begin his tour in Japan in September." Our local newscaster announced. Michael's in New York? I questioned myself hastily. Ever since I left Gary in seventy-six, Michael and I never spoke to each other again, even after all of the promises we made about doing so. I even came back to Gary every Summer to see him, but only to find out that he never had the time to see me. From the beginning I knew I was right, though my Aunt May tried so hard to reassure me, I knew she was wrong about Michael putting everything aside just to be with me.

"Next please!" The waiter announced agitatedly. I was so caught up in my thoughts that I didn't even realize that I was holding up the line.

"Oh, I'm sorry." I apologized as I rushed up to the counter. I quickly got my order and made my way to the studio.

...

Throughout the day, my mind kept on traveling back to Michel. It was nerve-wracking, yet overwhelming to know that after all of these years he would be here. I haven't seen him since I last saw him, hopefully, he hasn't changed and hopefully, he won't see me. I've changed a lot since then, not just physical changes but mental and emotional changes. I was diagnosed with depression and anxiety. My parents ended up getting killed in a car accident, not long after I started my sophomore year in high school. I have had terrible dreams of that day I heard about the accident and about the day I left as well. Things had gotten worse and worse as the years passed by, no matter how many therapy appointments I attended, nothing seemed to help so I eventually stopped going to them. In school, I isolated myself from everyone because no one I knew was like Michael, no one would be Michael. I struggled with that for years, that is until I met my best friend Aubrey. She and I ended up moving to New York not long after we graduated from college. She has been with me through hell and back and I couldn't be more grateful for her than I am now. I finished packing up my dance bag when the devil herself walked in through the door.

"Miss me?" Aubrey hysterically asked.

"I've gotta think about this one." I tapped my chin in thought which caused Aubrey to scoff in offense.

"Not funny." She said with a giggle. "You know the perks about having a best friend who happens to be the best agent in the music industry is that you get invited to the hottest parties in town." Aubrey stated with a smirk.

"Yeah, I'll remember that next time when you invite me to another one of Madonna's parties." I sarcastically commented.

"Trust me, this one is going to be off the wall." She ecstatically answered back.

"Who is it this time?" I asked as I slung my bag over my shoulder.

"Michael Jackson's album release party!" Aubrey replied with the biggest smile. My face automatically fell at the mention of his name and I immediately turned away from her.