Prologue

Eleanor at 9 years old, was sweeping the wooden floors of the Manhattan orphanage for Girls. She has been here for a year and it shows on her body. She has blisters on her hands from cleaning, cuts and bruises on her legs, a thin waste from lack of food, and whip marks on her back. She was a beautiful girl, but in the orphanage she was a mess.

Eleanor had an older brother, Francis. He was taken to the refuge when he got caught stealing food for the both of them and Eleanor was taken to the orphanage. The orphanage was run by an evil lady, Ms. Evelyn. Like the man running the refuge, Warden Snyder, the more kids she had, the more money the state gives her. Thing is, she takes the money for herself and all the children in the orphanage suffer.

One night, Eleanor was upstairs in the boarding room. She was sweeping up the floor so it would be perfect when Ms. Evelyn and the other girls come back from dinner. Eleanor wasn't allowed dinner tonight because she talked back to Ms. Evelyn. She always tried to keep her mouth shut, because it only got her more scars and no food. But sometimes she just couldn't hold it in anymore.

Eleanor bent down to look under one of the bunk beds when she heard a knock at her window. She immediately looked up frightened, but was relieved to see it was only her brother.

"Francis!" She yelled. She ran over and opened up the window.

"You'se wouldn't think I'se would leave you'se here, now did ya?" Eleanor smiled and climbed out the window with him. He pulled her down the street, trying his best to keep her going. She was covered in all kinds of bruises and cuts. They kept running until they were far enough away from the dreadful place. Once they were far enough away, they stopped in an alleyway.

"Listen El, I'se think we'se need to change our names. Just for now, so they'se can't find us." Eleanor nodded at her brother and began thinking of a new name. The last thing she wanted was to be found and have to go back.

"Katherine. Katherine...Kelly! But Kat for short."

"I'se like it. I'll be...Jack. Jack Kelly."