Chapter 9: Trouble in Paradise

Spot held my hand as we walked across the Brooklyn bridge and into Brooklyn. I'll admit, I'm a bit nervous about meeting Spot's newsies. I know he is close with them, so I feel like I need to make a good impression.

"You'se noivous or something?" Spot asked. I sighed and squeezed his hand.

"Just a little bit. I'se just hope da Brooklyn newsies like me," I answered.

"Dey will. Dere's no way dey can't." I smiled at him as he smiled back. He kissed me on the cheek and we continued walking towards Brooklyn. We continued walking for five minutes in comfortable silence.

"So...what's da story wid Strike?" I turn my head and give him a curious look.

"Strike, da leada of Midtown?" Spot scoffs.

"No, da oda Strike Moretti." This made me angry. What is his problem?

"Attitude much?" He suddenly rips his hand out of mine and spins to face me. He steps right in my face.

"Who is he?" He snarled.

"Da leada of Midtown." He shook his head and became angrier.

"I'se know dat! Now I'se want ta know how you'se know him." Now it all makes sense. He's jealous!

"He's just a friend, Spot."

"You two's looked more dan friendly at Tibby's." Jeez, what is up with him?

"I'se met him a long time ago, Spot! Plus that'd none of your business!"

"Of course it's my business! You'se are my goil." Hearing this, I snapped.

"I'se don't belong to anyone." I turned around and began to walk in the other direction, out of Brooklyn. To my surprise, Spot didn't stop me.

"Your right! You'se don't! Because you'se not my goil anymore!" Hearing this I began to run. I ran so fast as the hot tears started to fall down my face.

Spot's POV:

Shit. Why the hell would I say that?! I didn't mean that, I'se really like Kat. She's different. God, why am I so stupid?! I need to go find her now. Yeah she's tough, but Brooklyn is bad at night. She won't be going back to Hattan so I can't have her being in Brooklyn alone, or a few others places for that matter. I need to find her before someone else does.

Kat's POV:

It starts to pour as I run into a part of Brooklyn I've never seen before. It is almost pitch black outside and the rain streams down with intense force. I can barely see in front of my face. I'm still running so I stumble a lot, due to lack of vision or the slipperiness of the ground. This sucks, but I can't go back to Hattan or Brooklyn. Not now.

I can't go to Brooklyn for obvious reasons. Spot practically hates me now...and that saddens me so much. I really liked him. And I thought he liked me. I guess I was wrong.

I could go back to Hattan, but I don't think I could stand it. Everyone is probably so defeated, upset. I can't bare to see them like that. But then again, I'm there leader. I need to be there for them. I know they have Race and Davey, but Jack and I are their leaders. Jack abandoned them and right now I am practically doing the same thing. I need to head back. Problem is, I don't exactly know where I am. It is pretty secluded so maybe if I walk far enough I'll find a main road instead of an alleyway.

Deciding to find my way back to Hattan, I began to try to navigate through these alleyways. I have no idea where I'm going or if I'm going the right way. Ten minutes later, I still can't find a main street. This is ridiculous.

I am stumbling through an alleyway, hand pressed against a wall so I can know where I'm heading. I am completely oblivious to the boys sneaking up behind me. I began to turn around, but it was too late. I was pushed up against the wall of the building and pinned. My head throbbed a little from hitting the wall.

"Check his pockets!" The guy holding me commanded. Two others guys began to search all over me, putting their hands in and out of my pockets. Luckily, I don't have any money to give and they think I'm a boy. My hair is still up and it's too dark to see. I don't know what they'd do if they knew I was a girl...

"Dere's nothing on him!"

"Well den let's give him a lesson. He crossed into Queens, our territory. And I'se can't let dat go."

What happened next was a blur. I was punched, kicked, and cut everywhere. I felt pain spread throughout my whole body. Before I knew it, I was laying on the ground in pain. They boys walked off, and I was left alone. I had one thought before I blacked out; at least my hat didn't come off.