Chapter 6: Nightmare

Tonight is the night. I'll be speaking to every newsie in Manhattan with Jack, Davey, and Spot. Medda also has me doing a song. And saying that I'm super nervous is an understatement. All the Manhattan newsies, plus Spot, have respect for me. But I'm worried the other newsies won't respect me just because of my gender. I know they are going to underestimate me the minute I walk out there. I need to earn their respect. And this is how I need to do it.

I met up with Spot before we entered the theatre. He walked up to me, took my hand, and led me into the theatre. I smiled as he told me how beautiful I looked, but I was still nervous about tonight. He noticed this as we stood backstage.

"Hey, you'se alright Kitty Kat?" I wanted to laugh at the use of my nickname, but I wasn't in the mood. 

"I'se so scared. None of da newsies outside of Manhattan know I'se a goil yet. I'se worried dat dey won't respect me and won't care about what I'se have ta say." He looked me in the eyes intently while taking both of my hands in his.

"Don't you'se say dat. Dey'se are going ta love you'se. And if they talk back, I'll soak em." I laughed at the end of his speach, even though I know he's being completely serious.

"Hey! It's time!" Jack said loudly. I gave Spot a nod, telling him I was ok. And with that, we each stepped out one by one. Jack first, then Davey, Spot, and finally, me. The bright lights hit my face and hundreds of faces were staring back at me.

"CARRYING THE BANNER!" Jack screamed. This caused an up roar from all the newsies. It was funny how he knew exactly how to address the crowd. Once they settled down a bit, Jack spoke up again. "Now, I'se know you'se all know me and my buddy Spot. But you don't know my pal David-" Jack grabbed David and made him step forward. The newsies cheered, waved, or said hello. Then Davey stood behind Jack as he kept speaking. "Or my lil' sista, Kat Kelly!" He grabbed my hand and pulled me forward. The newsies cheered and whistled. I made eye contact with Race in the audience, who pretended to faint at the sight of me. I love my best friend. This isn't going too bad so far.

"So! We'se all need to get smart and listen ta my sista and Davey! Who says stop soakin' the scabbers!" I talked to Jack before the rally and we talked over ideas so we could get on the same page with Davey. Luckily, David agreed with us

"What are we'se supposed ta do ta da bums? Kiss em?" I would've laughed at Race's joke, but this was serious.

"Any scabber I see, I soak em. Period!" Spot said. I gave him a glare as the newsies in the audience started to fight amongst themselves. This is complete chaos. Spot was fighting with Jack so he couldn't do anything about it. I knew I had to do something. With a burst of confidence, I stepped forward and put my fingers in my mouth. I whistled VERY loudly, which caught everyone's attention. They all were completely silent while staring at me. Well, it's now or never.

"What...da HELL are you'se all doing?! You'se showing da big guys up dere dat dey don't gotta worry about us, because we'se can't even work togetha! If we'se don't stand togetha, den we're nothing! We'se just a bunch of street rats dat dey make us out ta be! If we'se fight each other and da scabbers, den we'se are just playing into dere hands! This needs to end now!" The whole room was dead silent. Then they started whispering amongst themselves quietly. Jack stepped forward next to me.

"Who's wid her?!" Suddenly, every newsie in the building stood up and cheered. I laughed and hugged Jack. They respected me. But I forgot about one person.

"So. What do you'se say, Spot?" I stood in front of Spot and looked him right in the eye.

"I'se say dat what you'se say...is what I'se say." We spit shook and hugged on stage. I got butterflies when he hugged me. They all started moving off stage, but Spot stopped and came over to me.