Chapter 1: A Sense of Freedom

6 years later...

"AYE KAT!" Kat jolts awake to the sound of Jack screaming in her ear. Kat groans and rolls over, knowing she'll have go get up to got sell some newspapers.

Kat and Jack live at the Newsboys Lodging House in Manhattan. They have become family to the rest of the boys who bunk here. They know about how Snyder and Ms. Evelyn are out looking for Jack and Kat. They also know that Kat is actually a girl. She disguises herself when she goes out because someone would call the Girls Orphanage if they saw a girl selling papers on the streets.

Kat's POV:

After I finish getting ready...

https://www

https://www.polyvore.com/m/set?.embedder=24943988&.svc=copypaste&id=235071501

I walk over to my best friend, Racetrack Higgins, who is currently looking for his cigar. I roll my eyes at this, knowing that one of the other newsies probably took it like always. I tuck my hair into my hat as I watch Race looking for cigar. Race spots it hanging out of Snipeshooters mouth.

RACE:
That's my cigar

SNIPESHOOTER:
You'll steal another

KAT:
Hey bummers we got work to do

SPECS:
Since when did you become me mother

CRUTCHY:
Ah stop your bawling

ALL:
Hey, who asked you?!

I see Jack come up behind me and start shoving more of my hair into my cap.
"What are you'se doin'?" I asked him.
"We'se gots to hide yoir hair betta, da Delancey's are stupid but I'se don't wanna take any chances." I nod and walk off to the bathroom to finish getting ready.

MUSH:
Try Bottle Alley or the harbor

RACE:
Try Central Park it's guaranteed

JACK:
Try any bank or bum or barber
They almost all knows how to read!

BLINK:
I smell money

CRUTCHY:
You smell foul

MUSH:
Met this girl last night