Chapter 11: Spot's Plan

Spot's POV:

"Hey Spot, could you'se slow down a little?" I whipped around and glared at Racetrack.

"No. Keep up." I turned back around and continued walking quickly. The others kept trying to talk to me, but I'm not in the mood. It's my fault she's out here. She could be hurt. I know she is here in Queens. Queens is the closest burrow near Brooklyn. They are also the craziest.

"Spot, she'll be fine. She's a tough goil," Race said. I know he's right. She is the toughest girl I have ever seen, and probably one of the toughest people I'll ever know. But she is all by herself. And the newsies from Queens always travel in packs.

We walked for another half an hour. Now we have been out here for an hour and a half looking. We are deep into Queens and there is still no sign of her.

"Maybe she isn't here?" Mush says.

"Yeah, you'se might be right. We'se have searched all ova tanight. Dis is just wasting time now. I'se say we split up and search-"

I tuned Race out for a second. I saw something in an alleyway. I walk closer and squint to get a better look. I could only see a form on the ground, but it looked human.

"Shit!" I yelled. I raced towards the body, praying that it wasn't her. Anyone but her.

I ran over to the body and crouched down beside it. I flipped them over so I could see their face. To my horror, it was Kat. Her eyes were closed and her face was littered with bruises and cuts. She was barely breathing.

"MUSH! Run a head ta Hattan and tell ya boys ta get ready! Kat needs help, fast!" Mush nodded and immediately scrambled off. I looked over at Kat's body and cursed myself. This is all my fault.

I picked her up into my arms and began to walk back through Queens as quickly as possible. Race and Blink followed right behind me. I could tell they were just as upset as me. This is all my fault...

———————————————————

"You'se think she'll pull through, Specs?"

"She'll be fine. I'se no doctor, but tis ain't life or death. I'll have ta check on her when she wakes up ta see what hoits, but I'se think she'll be fine." I remained sitting on Kat's bunk looking at her helpless form in front of me. I heard Specs and I was glad she was going to be ok. But I am just so mad at myself for starting this. If it wasn't for me, she'd be fine right now.

The newsies started to slowly leave one by one. I remained sitting next to Kat, holding her hand. I felt a hand on my shoulder, but I didn't take my eyes off of her.

"I'se sorry fa yelling at ya earlier tanight. I'se was just worried 'bout her. She's my best friend," Race said. I nodded, but kept my gaze on Kat. He knows I'm ashamed. "Dis ain't ya fault. She's told me 'bout you two so I'se knows she really likes you. Whateva ya fight was 'bout, she'll forgive ya." I ignored Race's comment. He walked away, leaving Kat and I alone.

I dropped my head down in shame. I shouldn't have yelled at her. Now she's hurt and I'm to blame. We just started dating and I already got jealous. Why was I so jealous?

I think I really like Kat. But I'll need to prove it to her. Once she wakes up, I'll make sure she knows I like her. I'll do something special for her. Then I'll ask her to be my girl again. Hopefully, she says yes.