Chapter 2: A Surprise Meeting

"They jacked up the price! Can you believe that Kelly's?! Ten cents a hundred!" I can't believe this. The World raised their prices. How could they do this to us? We can barely afford our lodging and food!

"I'm barely making a living right now!"

"I'll be back sleeping on da streets!"

"Hold up every body! It must be a gag!" Jack storms up to Weasel and slams his hands down on the counter. I follow him and put my hand on his shoulder.

"So why da jack up Weasel?" Jack asks. Weasel gives us his signature smirk, causing my insides to burn.

"Why not? It's a nice day!" I growl and storm away from him, Jack following behind me. Everyone is turning to Jack and I for what to do. We are pretty much the leaders of the Manhattan newsies, so we have to deal with this. Jack looks stumped as of right now, so is up to me to get something rolling.

"Well...one things for sure. If we'se don't sell papes, no body sells papes. I say we don't sell any papes until they put the price back where if belongs!" I yell.

"What, like a strike?" Davey asks.

"Yeah, like a strike!" Jack yells. Everyone starts erupting into arguments. Pretty soon, Jack convinces everyone to walk out of the distribution center. We end up near the statue where Jack starts preaching to the newsies, encouraging us to strike. I'm not too sure if this sounds like a good idea and by the look of Racetrack, he doesn't know either. Suddenly, Jack pulls Davey and I up near him and asks us what to say. I look at Davey to see where his head is at and he doesn't look too sure. Slowly, he answers.

"Tell them...that they need to respect our rights." Jack smiles and yells to all of the newsies.

"Hey listen! Pulitzer and Hearst need to respect the rights of the working boys of New York!" All the newsies start cheering and hollering at Jack. This inspires me to get into the idea of a strike. Maybe we can do this. Suddenly having a burst of inspiration, I pull myself onto the statue to address the newsies in song or course.

KAT:
Pulitzer and Hearst
They think we're nothin'
Are we nothin'?

NEWSIES:
No!

Jack smirks and hops up onto the statue with me.

JACK:
Pulitzer and Hearst
They think they got us
Do they got us?

NEWSIES:
No!

JACK:
Even though we ain't got hats or badges

KAT:
We're a union just by saying so

JACK+KAT:
And the world will know!

JACK:
What's it gonna take to stop the wagons?
Are we ready?

NEWSIES:
Yeah!

KAT:
What's it gonna take to stop the scabbers?
Can we do it?

NEWSIES:
Yeah!

JACK:
We'll do what we gotta do
Until we break the will of mighty Bill and Joe

NEWSIES:
And the World will know
And the Journal too
Mister Hearst and Pulitzer
Have we got news for you
Now the world will hear
What we got to say
We been hawkin' headlines
But we're makin' 'em today
And our ranks will grow

CRUTCHY:
And we'll kick their rear

NEWSIES:
And the world will know
That we been here

The newsies start to all walk down to Pulitzer's huge building and start dancing in front of it.