Chapter 18: Right Hand Man

My breathing stopped. I just stared at Spot and Jack, frozen. I saw Spot and Jack say something, but I couldn't hear them. That figure wasn't Spot. It wasn't Spot.

"Kat? What's wrong, darlin'?" I snapped out of my gaze to see Spot standing in front of me and holding both of my arms. I'm supposed to be mad at him, but I don't think I can right now. Not after what I just saw...

If that figure wasn't Spot...then who was it?

"Kat? Kat, talk ta me!" Spot demanded while shaking me. I pushed his arms off of me and stepped away from him. He looked hurt, seeing me so worried. Of course I was worried! I saw whoever that figure was right before I found Race, and now again tonight. What does all that mean?

Should I even tell Spot and Jack? What if I'm just being paranoid? But then again, what if I'm not? I have had a weird feeling about something lately. Maybe this is why...but is it worth getting everyone worried?

Yes, it is. If someone is trying to kill us, everyone needs to know. The figure was in Brooklyn that night, so close to the lodging house. Too close...and now tonight right near our lodging house...

"A figure. I saw a figure." Spot and Jack looked at me as if I was speaking giberish.

"Kat, what do ya mean you'se saw a figure?" Spot asked with his hands on his hips.

"I saw someone tanight before I left Brooklyn. I'se thought it was you'se, so I waved at 'em. Dey waved back. And now just outside, I saw him. I'se think he might be da one who did dis ta Race." Jack looked like he stopped breathing. Spot went cold.

"Are you'se sure?" He said darkly. I nodded, scared at his reaction. "Den we'se need ta set some rules. No newsie allowed outside afta dark. And no one travels alone, unda ANY circumstances." Jack looked at me to see if I agreed. I slowly nodded, knowing that this is the best thing for us right now. I began to move past Jack, until Spot grabbed my arm.

"And I'se think you'se should stay wid me in Brooklyn." I stopped cold at the feeling of him grabbing my arm. I slowly turned my head towards him.

"Is that anotha demand, King of Brooklyn?" He began squeezing my arm tighter, trying to control his anger.

"I'se just want you'se, ta come wid me," He said slowly.

"I'm touched. But no thanks." I ripped my arm away from him and jogged up the stairs. I heard him rush up behind me as I walked in to the bunk room. I stormed in to the room with Spot practically fuming behind me.

"I'se just tryin' ta protect you'se!" He said. I rolled my eyes and kept walking. I don't know where I'm going but I guess anywhere away from Spot.

"Ya don't need ta be a joik dough!" I yelled back. I opened the window and started to take the stairs up the fire escape. All the while, Spot keeps following me up to the roof. There isn't anywhere for me to go now, so I just turn away from Spot and stare out at the dark streets of New York. I hear him sigh loudly and step closer towards me. I feel two arms circle around my waist and a back pressed up against mine. I stay quiet, waiting for him to talk first.

"I'se sorry. I know'se dat I can get angry sometimes...but I'm woiking on it. I promise I'se will try harda ta keep myself unda control." I sighed. I know I can't stay mad at him and that was a very good apology.

"It's ok," I answered. I felt him smile against my hair and kiss the top of my head. I smiled and relaxed as we just watched the stars.

"I'se can't go with ya ta Brooklyn dough. I needs ta stay here with Race and look afta da lodgin' in case something else happens." He sighs and hugs me tighter from behind.