Chapter 5: Planning

That night, I let Spot walk me home. And when I say "let" I really mean I didn't have much of a choice. He is suddenly very protective after the kiss. But that kiss. It was...I can't even describe it. It was magical. I never think I could like anyone, but I'm falling hard for Spot Conlon. And hopefully, Jack approves. Well, Spot hasn't asked me to be his girl yet...wait, why didn't he ask me? Did he not like the kiss? Ok I'm getting too a head of myself. Maybe he's just waiting to talk to Jack or something.

We reached the Manhattan lodging house. I turned to face Spot but was thrown off by his lips pressing against mine. That same magical feeling took over me again. Everything disappeared except Spot, me, and the butterflies flying around in my stomach. We broke away from each other and just stood staring. We didn't want to leave, but we knew we had to. With a wave of my hand, I was gone. I turned around and walked into the alleyway of the lodging house. Spot watched me climb up the fire escape and didn't leave until he saw me go through the window.

I looked at all my boys sleeping in their beds. They looked absolutely exhausted. But they are all here. They are all here and they're safe. I felt proud that I was able to convince Spot. Hopefully it wasn't just because he had feelings for me. Whatever it was, my boys are safe. And that's what matters to me at the end of the day.

After telling Racetrack everything (he stayed awake just to make sure I came back safely), I climbed up to my bed. I went to bed proud of myself and my boys. That night I dreamt of Spot, and all the adventures we could continue to have. Together.

———————————————————

The next day, all of the Manhattan newsies, plus Spot, had gathered at Tibby's. We were waiting for Denton to tell us if we made the paper today. It should be a very stressful moment. Everything we do has to get in the paper or it never happened. If it never happened, then nothing will change. No body will care. But today, we were already having so much fun just being together. We may be "street rats", but we CAN get along. I was standing with Spot, Race, and Skittery. Race was discussing the Sheepshead races with Spot while Skittery and I added in comments about his gambling problem.

"Oh you'se don't know nothing about playing poka Kat! I'se beat you'se every time!"

"I'se can beat you'se any day, you'se know I'se betta than you." Suddenly, the voice I missed so much spoke up.

"I'se wouldn't take her up on dat boys, you'll end up broke by da end of da night." I laughed and turned to see my good friend, Strike Moretti. The leader of Midtown. I quickly went over to hug him. It's been a while since I've seen him.

Spot's POV:

"Is dat da leada of Midtown?" I ask Race. I'll admit, I felt a little jealous when Kat went over to hug this guy. Who is he?

"Oh yeah! Dose two have been friends for as long as I'se can remember. She goes ova ta Midtown a lot. All da boys down dere respect her. Kinda like her second home, ya know?" It made me mad to hear she goes down to Midtown a lot. She's been coming to Brooklyn a lot lately- did she always just skip around? "I'se know what you'se thinkin' man and trust me, dere's nothin' between dose two." I couldn't help but stare him down as they talked and laughed. I don't care what Race said. I want her to be my girl and I can't have this guy stealing her from me. I already have Jack to deal with, I don't need to worry about this guy.

Kat's POV:

I was talking to Strike when Denton came in with the paper in hand. We all immediately surrounded him. We made the front page! Everyone was so excited about being in the paper.

"Hey Jack! You'se look like a general or something!" Mush yelled why pointing at Jack's picture.

"Would you'se get ya finger off me face?!"