Chapter 19: Much more to talk about

Jack, Strike, Ben, David and I were all making our way towards Brooklyn. The meeting was tonight to figure out what to do about this supposed killer. I can't help but feel that this isn't good. I've had a bad feeling for a while, and maybe this is it. I don't feel good about this.

Strike is worried sick. He cares about all his boys and he's got a girlfriend now who lives with them in the lodging house. She's not a newsie, but I hear she's very wealthy and got kicked out when her parents heard she was dating Strike. He hasn't said a word since we started our trek to Brooklyn. His face is completely stone. Ben said not to worry about it, but I did. I've only seen him like this a handful of times and every time, nothing turns out good.

Jack got David to come because he's the smartest newsie we have. Plus he is loyal and we know we can trust him. David and I got really close after the strike but I haven't seen him in a while. Thats because he doesn't sleep at the lodging house in Hattan and I go to Brooklyn during the day.

We crossed the bridge to Brooklyn when I got another bad feeling. I decided not to say anything because we are safe here in Brooklyn. No one would dare mess with Brooklyn, especially this late at night. We're perfectly safe so there's no need in making anyone else paranoid.

When we reached the lodging house, Spot had us come up to his conference room. It was basically a room with a small, circular table. A single light illuminates the room. I've been here several times as i am now apart of making decisions in Brooklyn. We all take a seat at the table. Ace has joined us and is sitting next to Spot. I am sitting across from him while Jack, Ben, and Strike fill in on either side of me.

"So, I'se assumin' you'se all here ta talk about this so called "killer"," Spot said. I could see Strike tense up at Spot's clear disbelief.

"It's real, Spot. One of my boys was found dead today," Strike said while clenching his fists. Everyone cringed, not knowing he lost someone. We wouldn't know how to handle the loss of one of our own.

"I'se real sorry, Strike. But I'se don't know what you'se want me ta do. If dis killer is targeting newsies then he must be one himself. Dat's all we know. And we'se can't go around questioning all the burrows because it could start a bigga fight." I shook my head in disbelief. We have to stop this before it gets out of hand.

"Well, we have ta do something. We can't just let more of our newsies be killed. I'se say we make a plan," I said.

"What did you'se have in mind?" Ben asked.

"I'se say we set this guy up. We'se can catch him in the act."

"How would we'se do dat?" Jack asked.

"Well, he's only attacked newsies when they were alone, right?" David asked. We all nodded in response. "Well, all we have to do is make it look like one of us is alone so he'll come. But the rest of us will be hiding, ready to catch him."

"David, you'se are a genius!" Jack said.

"What if da killer isn't alone dough?" When Spot said that, everyone stopped breathing. We were all shocked because that could easily be true, and we are all here.

"Shit!" Strike yelled. He got up to leave before Ben stopped him.

"You'se need ta be here, Strike. I'll go back and look afta our newsies." Strike looked apprehensive at first, but then spit shook with Ben.

"We'll go togetha. We'se can talk later."

And with that, Ben and Strike were out the door. I suddenly realized we needed someone down in Manhattan. I stood up and announced I should go.