Chapter 14: The Newsie Banner

I ran as fast as I could across the Brooklyn bridge towards Manhattan. As I ran through the city, I saw flyers everywhere and managed to pick one up. It read "The Newsie Banner". It was a complete stab at Pulitzer's organization and stated that to protest, there will be a rally in the square. This is it. We are going to win today, I can feel it. For once, we are going to win.

I ran to the square to see all the Manhattan newsies. They looked upset and had their heads hung low. No one else is here.

"Miss me dat much, fellas?" I yelled. Race's head shot up and he immediately ran over to me. I saw Mush smile and wave and a few other newsies cheered and said hello. Then I saw my brother. He was wearing his regular newsie clothes again. He looked like he was back, but I'm not so sure yet. He looked up when he heard my voice and just stared at me. He had a sad look in his eyes. I'll need to talk to him in a second. But by the looks of Racetrack, he's about to crush me in a hug.

I was right. Race grabbed me in tight hug and said, "God, ya scared us Kitty Kat! We'se didn't know where you were! Where did ya go?" I laughed and detached myself from him.

"You'll hopefully find out in a few minutes." He gave me a confused glance, but I made my way over to Jack. He noticed me and dropped his head to the ground. I stood right in front of him, staring at him intently.

"Eleanor...I'se sorry. For everything. I'se haven't acted like a brudda ta you'se in a long time. I'se promise, this'll neva happen again. It's you and I, forever." Part of me wanted to hate him. He walked away. But he's back now, and he's my brother. With tears in my eyes, I jumped on him and gave him a hug. He was surprised, but gladly hugged me back. I felt a few of his tear drops roll down my back. I looked at all the other newsies who were depressed and dejected. No one is going to show up. Not even Spot... I pushed away from Jack and walked a little a head of the boys to stare at Pulitzer's building.

When the circulation bells are ringing, will we hear it?

"No!" I turned around to see Les, holding a wooden sword. I smiled and patted him on the back. I smiled as Race came over and did the same. I turned to Jack and gave him a small, sad smile. He gave it back. It was going to be hard to rebuild our relationship, but I need my brother.

When you got a million voices singing
Who can hear a lousy blow?

We all looked around in confusion. Where were those voices coming from? We suddenly saw millions of kids marching down the street towards the square. We did it.

And the world will know!

The newsies started cheering as millions of people crowded the square. There was barley enough room to stand, that's how many people came to support the strike.

"BROOKLYN!" I whipped around when I heard the voice I needed to hear so badly. Spot marched in to the square, all of his newsies in tow. I waved at him to get his attention. Once he saw me, he ran towards me and lifted me off the ground in a hug. I laughed as he twirled me around. When he set me down, his face seemed to drop at the sight of something. I turned around to see what he was looking at, and came face to face with my one and only brother. Jack approached Spot with a blank expression. For the first time, I watched Spot sweat as he anticipated Jack's reaction.

"What do ya say, Jack?" Spot asked nervously. Jack's expression was still blank.

"I say dat what you say..." His face suddenly turned up in to a smile. "...is what I say." Spot smirked and spit shook with Jack. I laughed at his choice of words  and hugged my brother. He had to go talk to Pulitzer so he left me with Spot.

"So...ya think we'se gonna win?" I asked Spot while I looked at Pulitzer's building. Spot put his arm around my shoulders as he looked up too.

"I'se have a really good feeling 'bout it. I'se also have a really good feeling 'bout your answer ta the question I'se about ta ask you'se." I looked at Spot, confused as to what he could possibly asked me. He stood in front of me and grabbed both of my hands in his. What is he going to ask?
"I'se neva seen you as a Hattan newsie and I'se think Brooklyn could use a queen..." Wait...