Chapter II: Yavanna's Task

Nerwen and Silmelotë reached Valimar in the late afternoon; while Anar's chariot was descending toward the West, the Lady of the Green and her Chargeress entered the marvellous city of the Valar, located at the feet of the north-western Pelóri. The streets were crowded with blond Vanyar, the Fair Eldar, those who were the first to arrive in the Blessed Realm coming from Endorë, during the First Age of the world. Much less instead were the brown Noldor, who usually lived in the splendid city of Tilion on the green hill of Túna, at the entrance of the Cleft of Light, the only passage through the Pelóri, right in front of the Great Sea. Very few were finally the black-haired Teleri, great mariners, who dwelled in the enchanting Alqualondë – the Swan-haven – on the seashore. Some pedestrians recognised her and greeted her cheerfully, and Nerwen reciprocated them smiling, but didn't stop, heading without delay for Yavanna's town abode.

The beautiful palace in white marble, surrounded by an opulent garden, was exactly as she remembered it; Nerwen didn't even have the time to dismount her horse in front of the gate of pale wood, and it opened, as proof of the fact she was awaited.

"Good evening and welcome, Laiheri", the butler – an Elda with the typical dark hair of the Noldor – saluted her with a bow.

"Thank you, Varnon, and good evening to you", she reciprocated him, getting off the saddle; she trusted Silmelotë's bridle to the groom who had come rushing, a young Vanya Nerwen didn't know, "She's a Chargeress", she warned him therefore, so he would use the appropriate way with this kind of mount, which wasn't an ordinary horse.

"I see...", the stable hand murmured with an admired gaze, reaching out his hand to caress Silmelotë's silky face, being careful in going near to her slowly and openly. Nerwen realised that, even if young, the groom knew his job, and indeed the mare didn't pull back and, on the contrary, showed appreciation for the Elda's homage. After taking leave from her friend, Silmelotë let him take her away.

"Come, Lady", Varnon exhorted her, "We have a room prepared for you. Kementári will receive you as soon as you're freshened up."

"Thank Kementári for me", Nerwen said, entering the sun-lit hall, "I'll try to be quick."

Less than half an hour later, wearing her elegant dress in green and white silk, Nerwen exited the room she had been given and found Varnon waiting for her; the butler escorted her and made an announcement before introducing her in Yavanna's private parlour.

The Valië was sitting on a comfortable armchair, upholstered in silk damasked with a floral motif; she smiled at Nerwen when she entered and stood up to welcome her

The Valië was sitting on a comfortable armchair, upholstered in silk damasked with a floral motif; she smiled at Nerwen when she entered and stood up to welcome her. The Maia took three steps, then made a low curtsy to pay homage to the Queen of Earth, but the latter approached her and, as soon as Nerwen rose from the bow, hugged her affectionately. Being much taller than Nerwen, whose height was unusually short for a Maia, she had to bend down a little.