Chapter XIV: Ambush on the Great East Road

Nerwen rode the entire day in complete silence, not even seeing the road. Thilgiloth and Calad, feeling the deep sadness of their friend, forebore speaking with her and instead just kept watch on the road for her.

In the late afternoon, they arrived at the Forsaken Inn, built on the northern side of the Great East Road; it was a far smaller edifice than the Prancing Pony, or even the Green Dragon, not very well kept, as it was rarely visited.

At this point, Thilgiloth stirred Nerwen from her dejection, talking to her gently:

My friend, we've reached today's destination...

Nerwen came back from the limbo she had voluntarily exiled herself to in the attempt to keep her sorrow at bay; if the parting from Calion had been grievous, parting from Thorin was feeling much worse.

She looked at the building in front of which Thilgiloth had come to a halt, a two-storey house in stone and wood. The wood was peeling, some shutters were missing from the sides of its windows and a window-glass was broken; but from the inside came an animated rattle, and in the stable by the inn stood three horses and a mule. A warm yellow light radiated from the windows on the ground floor.

Nerwen dismounted and entered the run-down building; the door creaked, opening on a small hall not very well kept, lit by a few oil lamps.

"Landlord!" she called.

"What is it?" an annoyed voice came from the next room.

"A traveller looking for shelter for the night!" Nerwen answered curtly. Tonight she was in no mood to be nice with someone who seemingly wasn't in turn.

A very tall and thin Man arrived, sporting a few grizzled hair on his head and a sloppy moustache; he had a scowling face, but the moment he saw her, he immediately changed his attitude.

"Good evening, lady," he said in a suddenly kind tone, "Excuse me, I thought it was that irritating old woman, my neighbour Zeda. She's got a farm two hours from here, and once in a while she comes bothering me because she wants to gamble, and as she owes me much money, I forbade her coming back here until she settles her debt..." seeing her frown impatiently, he changed the subject, "Beg your pardon, you surely don't care about this. You want a room for the night, I suppose?"

"Right; and accommodation for my horse," Nerwen answered, "as well as something to eat for dinner."

"Of course! This is a very modest inn, as you surely noticed, but the sheets are clean and the food's good, you'll see. Jack! Jack, where are you, you sluggard?"

A youngster of about twenty-five came running; he was short and chunky, his gaze elusive and his yellow hair so dishevelled, it looked like a heap of hay.

"Take the lady's horse to the stable, then curry and feed it..."

"I'll take care of my horse myself," Nerwen intervened, instinctively mistrusting this stable boy, "She's very quick-tempered with strangers," she added, anticipating any possible objection, "When I'm done, I'll dine and then go to bed. I'll leave again tomorrow at sunrise: is it possible to have breakfast so soon?"

"Sure, we're used to early hours," the landlord answered, "Don't worry about it, lady."

Nerwen exited, the groom on her tail; he led her to the stables and showed her where to accommodate Thilgiloth and find brushes and fodder.

I don't like that Man, the Chargeress declared, I'm glad it's you taking care of me, tonight.

I don't like him, either, Nerwen admitted, That's why I insisted on taking care of you myself. Stay alert during the night. I won't close the pen: I'm afraid someone can try stealing you, therefore, should you hear suspicious noises, go on the run. I'll tell Calad, too, to be vigilant.