Chapter XVII: Rhosgobel

(This chapter has not been edited yet, pls forgive oddities & mistakes)

Chapter XVII: Rhosgobel

Nerwen left Imladris by the end of April, just the day after Thorin Oakenshield, his twelve Dawarven companions, the Hobbit Bilbo Baggins – hired as a burglar – and the Wizard Gandalf the Grey had left Hobbiton, starting their great adventure.

The night before, Nerwen had taken her leave from all those she had met in Rivendell – and they were many – but nonetheless, in the morning Elrond, Estel and Glorfindel came to say goodbye; there was also Gaerwen, who was parting for a short time with Elladan who, along with Elrohir, was accompanying the Istar to Lothlórien.

Nerwen bent down to hug Estel, who threw his arms around her neck and told her:

"I'll miss you very much, Lady Nerwen: you were able to make my study hours so funny...! I hope I'll meet you soon again."

She smiled at him:

"Mayhap it won't be so soon, dear Estel," she answered, "but I'll do my best, I promise."

The boy made a face half disappointed half hopeful, uncertain on how he should feel about this statement; but Nerwen had had no visions in this respect: she knew only that she would like very much to see again Estel – Aragorn – especially if he would fulfil completely the great destiny she had figured for him.

Glorfindel hugged her, towering over her with his tall stature.

"Take care of you, Nerwen my dear," he recommended.

"Be sure of it, my friend," she told him, smiling.

Elrond, too, embraced her.

"Have a good trip," he wished her, "I too, like Estel, hope to meet you again."

"I hope so, too," Nerwen nodded, sincerely: in those months she got to know Elrond better – once only a superficial acquaintance, even if between them there had been immediately reciprocal esteem – and she had come to appreciate him for his thoughtfulness and his great erudition.

Gaerwen, whose expression was very sad, curtseyed to her, but the Maia hugged her and whispered in her ear:

"Don't worry, it won't be a long time before Elladan will miss you so much, he'll come back to Imladris in a headlong gallop..."

Her statement managed getting a smile out of the Elf, who thanked her warmly.

Finally, the moment come to mount on their horses and cross the slender bridge stretching over the gorge of the Bruinen, and take the narrow trail leading to the High Pass, located at an elevation of a little more than 1500 metres. They had chosen this way to cross the Misty Mountains – slightly more difficult than the Caradhras, or Redhorn Pass further south – because Nerwen wanted to go to Rhosgobel, Radagast the Brown's abode on the edge of Mirkwood.