Chapter LX: Stopping by in Fangorn

Two days later, Éomer and Éowyn of Rohan, together with an escort worthy of their rank, arrived in Minas Tirith. Awen and Aragorn received them formally in the throne room, surrounded by the highest representatives of the city; when the official part was over, the king and queen of Gondor dismissed the dignitaries of both sides, but asked the two guests from Rohan and Aryon and Nerwen to stay.

 Awen and Aragorn received them formally in the throne room, surrounded by the highest representatives of the city; when the official part was over, the king and queen of Gondor dismissed the dignitaries of both sides, but asked the two guests fro...

"My friends," Aragorn said, addressing Éowyn and Éomer, "I'd like to introduce to you two persons very special to me and my queen: Nerwen the Green, Arwen's aunt and my teacher when I was a child, and her husband, Prince Aryon of Eryn Rhûn."

Nerwen and Aryon curtseyed and bowed; the blonde Princess of Rohan reciprocated, while her brother, by virtue of his rank as a monarch, simply nodded politely.

"Nice to meet you," Éowyn said, her eyes lingering on the Istar, "So you're a colleague to Gandalf, Lady Nerwen?"

"I am," she confirmed, "And you're the one who took down the Black Captain: I'm honoured to meet you."

The princess smiled, then looked at Faramir, who was standing at her side, and her smile became broader and brighter:

"Thank you... but that's the past: I longed for fame and glory, and I achieved them, but I realised that there are far more valuable things in life. From now on, I'll take care only of things that grow and prosper and make the world sweeter."

Farmir returned her smile. Nerwen thought that Éowyn was stunning, both sweet and strong; Faramir was her perfect counterpart, he, too, stunning, sweet and strong at the same time. They were a wonderful match, in every sense, and it was apparent they were deeply in love with each other. Under their care, Ithilien would surely go back to be a lush land.

OOO

They celebrated the wedding three days later in the Courtyard of the Fountain, in the presence of all the most important people in Minas Tirith. King Elessar in person led the ceremony, which was rather different from the one Elves and Ainur had and didn't provide for the presence of sponsors, but only the exchange of the marital promises between the bride and groom, as they symbolically tied their wrists with a red ribbon. The eyes of both parts of the couple shined with joy as they looked at each other with such rapturous glances, that all the attendees were smiling, even the stern Éomer, who was watching his sister and newly become brother-in-law with plain approval.

After the nuptials, they feasted in Merethond, the Hall of Feasts, where they had a rich banquet, and sang and danced, and where poets read love poems and acrobats performed their skills, and they had merriment until late, even if the bride and groom retired much earlier: they had to validate their marriage with the conjugal act and of course they were looking forward to it, like every couple in love.

OOO

The guests from Rohan stayed for ten days in Minas Tirith; then, they prepared to leave and go home, while the Prince and Princess of Ithilien would cross the Anduin, heading for their new house.