Chapter XXXII: Mid-Summer Feast

The following day, Nerwen went down to the stables, planning a tour in the outskirts of the town. The night before, at dinner, Eliénna and her children had been very curious about her new, sudden mastery in their tongue; she had given a short description of the mental technique she had applied, describing it as a special skill of the Wizards and pointing out the important role that Aryon's trust in her had had. Then the queen looked upon her more favourably, even if she still didn't reach to a final conclusion, and confirmed her brother's permission for her to come and go at her leisure.

A groom quickly saddled Thilgiloth, who was very pleased to go wandering about with her two-legged friend; with them came Calad, too.

The near environs of Bârlyth were rather monotonous, but still knowing nothing about the neighbourhood, for the moment Nerwen would not enter the forest, following the roads radiating from the large clearing surrounding the town. Hence, after a couple of hours she got back; she was slightly bored, but the walk had been good for the Chargeress, therefore she decided to repeat the excursion in the next days.

The morning after, passing through the large palace hall while going to the stables, Nerwen came across Myranna.

"Good morning, Lady Nerwen," the princess greeted her, "Are you going out?"

"Yes, I was thinking of going for a ride with my mare," she answered. Myranna hesitated, then she told her confidentially:

"I should go on cataloguing the plants in the garden, but sincerely, this morning I have no feeling for it... a ride would be much more agreeable," she concluded with a sigh and a funny grimace.

"Can you do it in the afternoon?" the Istar asked, amused by her expression. The princess pondered about it:

"Well, yes, actually..."

"Then forget it for the moment and come with me," Nerwen invited her, "What do you say to that?"

"I say yes!" Myranna cried, laughing cheerfully, "I make a run for my riding boots."

"I'll wait for you in the stables," Nerwen told her smiling.

Once out of town, Myranna led the Maia to the north-west, down a wide road entering the forest. About twenty minutes later, they came across the Rinnen, the river coming from the Orocarni, passing through the realm of the Kindi and flewing into the Sea of Rhûn. The path went on in both directions of the stream; Myranna chose to turn downriver.

 "There's a port upstream," she explained, "where all the watercrafts land, coming from the eastern plains and the Red Mountains. Windan, Hwenti and Kinn-lai come here to trade with us."

"And the Dwarves of the Orocarni?" Nerwen enquired. The princess shook her head:

"We've no direct contact with them, only through our brothers the Kinn-lai."

They rode on for almost one hour, chatting pleasantly; then the forest opened in a wide, sunlit clearing, concomitantly with the river that, in this point, wrought a large meander; at the inside of it was a beach of fine white sand. Several people were bathing in the stream, which was very gentle here, or sunbathing, laying on cloths or wicker carpets. All were completely naked, but this didn't surprise Nerwen, because it was common custom in Valinor, too. After all, bathing dressed makes no sense.

 After all, bathing dressed makes no sense