Chapter XLVII: An Unforeseen Encounter

Two days after the wedding, Nerwen and Aryon got aboard the Riverpearl, which would sail the following day heading for Pallàndim, the capital city. They parted sadly from Morvenna and Roden, friends so unexpectedly found in the very best place and moment; they looked forward to meet again before long, when the two newlyweds would have completed their journey, which reason the elderly couple knew not.

The voyage along the Yorva was uneventful, except the aversion Túdhin immediately showed for navigation.

I don't like not having solid ground under my paws, he declared to Nerwen, half bothered and half complaining.

I'm sorry, the Maia said sympathetically, but it's only for a few days. Besides, as you can see Thilgiloth doesn't protest, nor do Thalion and Allakos: you don't want to look less than them, do you?

Struck in his pride, the wolf uttered a half growl that sounded very much like an annoyed snort, then he shook himself and concluded:

Alright, if they can bear it, I will, too...

They arrived at Pallàndim five days later, in the afternoon. Advised by Captain Ràdiros, they got an accommodation in an inn near the port, called The Vermillion Rose. The innkeeper was irreproachably polite, but nothing to do with Roden's and Morvenna's affability; again, Túdhin was presented as a dog and they allowed him to stay in their room, while the horses found a comfortable shelter in the inn's stables.

The following day, Nerwen and Aryon, with the wolf, headed for the library that the bookseller and cartographer in Yòrvakars had praised, finding it easily thanks to the clear directions they had received at the inn. Its dimensions, which comprised a whole building, impressed even Nerwen, who was used to the enormous book collections in Valimar and Tirion: halls upon halls of shelves going up to the ceilings, packed with books and parchments, with many librarians tending them.

They asked and were granted to see their best maps, but as much as Nerwen studied them, none corresponded to her vision.

A few days passed as the Istar's frustration increased. One morning, when they were heading for the library to continue combing charts and journey chronicles, they noticed that the town was being dressed up for some celebration.

"What's going on?" Aryon asked, addressing a passer-by.

"Today is our king's birthday," the man answered smiling, "As it's been the custom for centuries, we celebrate in the streets, eating, drinking and dancing everywhere, and the king parades through the main streets with his guards and the court. It's quite a show, you'll see!"

They found the library deserted, except for the librarians, who informed them that on this day they would close at noon to join the celebration. Captured by the joyful atmosphere pervading the town, the couple decided to forget their researches for the day and join the merriment. Therefore, they returned to the inn; there, too, preparations were in full swing, with the maids setting up tables in the street, the boys decorating the façade with flower garlands and coloured paper streamers, the cooks preparing all sorts of food, both sweet and salty, and the innkeeper running breathlessly to and fro, trying to supervise everything with no real need, as everyone knew how to do their job. Amused, the newlyweds got out of their way and went strolling down the riverbank, watching the dressing up of private houses, shops and premises. They got back just before noon, finding the inn stormed by a crowd of patrons because it was located on one of the streets where the king would parade with his whole follow of guards and courtiers. They asked therefore to eat in their room, which windows opened on the street, so they would easily watch at the royal parade without choking in the throng.