Chapter 8

I let out a breath. "I'm sorry."

I closed the space between us and let him pull me into a hug. The dissolver fell from my hand on to the carpet as I wrapped my arms around him. He squeezed me, as if he was afraid if he let go I would disappear.

"I'm sorry I'm putting you through this." I pulled my head away from his chest, looking up at him. "You don't deserve this. You are literally the guy that every girl dreams about and I keep putting you through things like this."

"You're right. You're awful for putting me through having to see your beautiful smile everyday. For making me listen to your perfect laugh. For forcing me to hold you in my arms and to look in to your soft blue eyes. I can't believe you have the audacity to force me to hear you say you love me everyday."

I smiled despite myself.

He pretended to cover his eyes. "How could you put me through this torture."

I laughed. He smiled and peered through his fingers. I grabbed his hands placing one on my hip, the other on my cheek. He pulled me toward him so that our noses were touching and we were staring into each others eyes. I placed my arms around his neck and jumped up, wrapping myself around him so our heads were level. I tilted my head slightly, moving my lips closer to his, stopping just before they touched.

As I spoke my lips brushed against his. "I'm tired."

"You know how evil this is right? You enjoy teasing me don't you?"

I smiled. "I have no clue what you're talking about."

In the dark I felt Peter chuckle softly before he leaned his head down and began to kiss my neck. I lifted my head up and he moved up from my neck to my jawline, and finally stopped at my lips. I felt his hands slowly slide up my back under my shirt, his skin warm against my back. He moved his lips back to my neck, slowly inching further and further down.

Suddenly he stopped. I pulled away and gave him a confused look.

"Sorry, I just remembered I told Tony I would talk to him later."

"Dude, total buzzkill."

He looked at me apologetically. "I'm sorry. I can tell him I forgot if you want."

"No it's okay." I let my feet fall to the floor. "I actually am tired. Promise to come back when you're done?"

"Promise." He picked up the dissolver and poured it on the webs. He opened the door and took one step out.

"Wait!" He stopped and turned to look at me. I ran up and quickly kissed him whispering in his ear. "So you don't forget to come back." I pulled away and smiled, shutting the door behind him.

* * *

The bell rang and I ran out of first period to see if I could find Sarah. I hadn't talked to her since she walked off yesterday and I was hoping she wasn't still mad at me.

I wandered in the direction of her locker but was quickly stopped by Peter's voice.

"Sam, wait up!" I stopped and watched as he made his way through the crowd of students, his bag slung over one arm almost flying off and hitting someone in the face. As I watched him I couldn't help but notice the effortlessness of his walk. I could almost see the muscles hidden under his skin, carrying him.

"What's up?" I asked as he finally reached me, somehow barely avoiding knocking a freshman out with the stack of books in his arms.

"I didn't get to say hi this morning, I wanted to check in, see how you were feeling."

"Well I was sad I didn't get to see you. Not having you there made it a lot harder to actually get ready to go to school. The only reason I'm here is because I hoped I was going to get to see you. It's so weird not having you around all the time anymore."

He looked at me sadly. "I'm sorry I wasn't there. I had to go out this morning so I didn't have to later because of..." He stopped himself short.

"Because of what?"

"Uh, nothing." He scratched the back of his neck.

"No way, you're not getting out of this one with your adorable awkwardness. Tell me or I'm going to refuse to kiss you for a week."

"Doesn't that punish you as well?" He smirked. I glared at him for a long moment, trying to come up with a counterpoint.

"Just tell me!"

"Fine. But you have to promise that you'll act surprised. Tony's throwing you a surprise birthday party."

"Oh no. Peter you know I don't like birthday parties!" I was annoyed. Every single birthday party I had ever had turned into a total disaster. When I turned ten my mom invited all of the kids in my class to a party at our house. Of course no one showed up because it was a week after we had moved there and no one knew who I was. A couple years later she threw another party for my twelfth birthday but my worst nightmare, Vanessa Gates, stole the show when she decided to dare Brady Lenon, my middle school crush, to kiss her. That was the last party I allowed her to throw for me.

"Oh come on, it'll be fun!"

"Do I have to tell you the story of the pony poop cake again?"

He laughed at the memory of it. "I promise there will be no ponies, especially ones that poop. And hopefully the only person getting kissed will be you by me."

"Fine, but not during the actual party. You know I don't like kissing in front of other people."

"You mean, like this?" He leaned in and quickly pressed his lips against mine before I could protest.

"Stop!" I laughed.

"There's no one here anyway." He motioned around, making me realize that everyone had already shuffled off to their prospective classes.

"Peter we're supposed to be in class."

"Shh." He placed his finger on my lips before kissing me again.

The sound of someone clearing their throat made both of us jump back in surprise. My face flushed when I saw our principal standing a few feet away from us.

"Just because Tony Stark has a special relationship with the two of you doesn't give you the right to skip class. Detention after school, both of you. Now get to class."

Principal Morita walked off, leaving us red with embarrassed.

"Well, at least now I don't have to figure out how to keep you occupied while Tony finishes setting up for the party."

I glared at him, ticked off.

"Don't give me that look, your lips were involved too." I rolled my eyes at him but couldn't keep away a smile as I turned to go to class.

Author's Note

It turns out that basketball ending and being on February Break is very helpful in giving me time to write and edit. So that means that I have another chapter for you!