TAKE ME HOME: Chapter 15

Chapter 15: Just Like The Old Times

            I never really thought how it is possible to feel awfully awkward in front of my past and present love interest. Is this just a proof that you couldn’t walk good enough with an old and new pair of shoes together? I know it was not good to compare the two guys in front of me. An hour ago we were cleaning the mess in the kitchen when all of the sudden they ended up holding each other’s throat. And I sent them in the living room to cool down but that didn’t work out. I could swear if I won’t make a break in the silence the invisible electric current flowing between them could be our death.

            “Hmmm…I think I want pizza.”

            That was lame of me to say. As soon as those words slipped, two heads snapped at me. They even volunteered exactly at the same moment.

            “I’ll get it.”

            “I’ll buy.”

            And that was no good.

            Nathan clenched his fist and Harry frowned with a death glare. I swear if the door bell didn’t ring the two of them would be sending punches already. They were too much to handle.

            “What’s going on?” I heard my mom gasped at the sight of our kitchen.

            Nathan and Harry just smile and went back to cleaning. It took them three hours to completely finish the task. I was left with my mom. She kept on staring at me without saying anything. I could bet the worst would come later.

            “Jnel, I need explanations right after those two guys leave.” She said before going upstairs to her room.

            I could feel verdict time as soon as the Nathan and Harry bid their goodbyes. The two of them looked exhausted.

            “Jnel, I’ll call you tonight.” Nathan told me.

            “Okay.” I feel bad for him because no matter what I do my heart couldn’t beat for him.

            “Just let her sleep for Pete’s sake.” Harry intervened.

            And before they could start a fight again I already closed the door in their faces. I was pissed off. They were acting like kids and I hate it.

            “So, how about starting your explanation?”

            I was taken by surprise with my mom on the sofa. Her face holds an unreadable expression. I know she wouldn’t stop unless she finally had the answer to her questions.

            “When did you start dating Nathan?” That definitely was hard to answer.

            How can I tell her that it was just one of my impulsive decisions? It was that day I found out that he confessed to me. I was mad at that time because of Harry so to annoy him I said yes to Nathan. I know you’ll going to hate me but I am confused alright.

            “Mom, he’s nice so I think he deserve it.”

            She pursed lips and shook her head, “That is not what I want to hear.”

            “Then. What?!” I snapped at her.

            “Do you have feelings for him? Nathan, that boy had been there always by your side. He doesn’t deserve a chance to be a rebound.”