King Of The Waves

It was a sunny day in Los Angeles, California. Even more so at the Malibu beachfront, where they were having their annual surfing contest. People were either partying on the beach or riding the waves.

All except Sonic.

He had just turned sixteen and all his friends wanted him to conquer his biggest fear, water.

"Come on Sonic, you're sixteen!" Amy exclaimed as Sonic sat back and relaxed in his deck chair on the beach.

"So?" He shrugged.

"So it's about time you master your fear, what's the worst that could happen?" Tail asked with a smile as he dragged the blue hedgehog off the deck chair.

"Let's see, I could drown, get swept out to sea, get attacked by a shark; just to name a few." He glared.

"Relax Sonic, there are life guards all around the beach and the ocean, if there was a problem one of them would come to help you." Knuckles smiled at his blue friend.

Sonic thought about it for a moment before smiling and grabbing his blue and white surfboard...

******

Sonic took a deep breath to calm his nerves as he sat on his surfboard. He was floating in the middle of the ocean with the other surfers who had also entered the competition.

"Next up is Sonic T.Hedgehog!" The announcer called to everyone on the beach and ocean.

They all cheered, but Sonic gulped. He knew that the next wave was the one he had to ride and he was dreading it. Suddenly his smart watch beeped, meaning that he was getting a call.

He answered in and Tails' face popped up with Amy and Knuckles at either side of him.

"So what do you think Sonic, ready to have some fun and conquer your fear of water?" The fox grinned. Just then the next wave came and Sonic nearly fell off his board.

It was huge!

Sonic decided to shallow his fear and paddled out to the wave. Back the surface his friends watched him in shock.

"No way, are you crazy?! That wave will crush you into tiny blue pieces!" Knuckles exclaimed, but Sonic had already turned the watch off.

It a matter of moments Sonic was riding the wave.

He was a bit nervous at first but after a few moments he started to relax and forget about the water all around him; to him, surfboarding was kinda like skateboarding.

"I don't believe it!" The announcer shouted. "That hedgehog is totally taking this wave!"

"You're the King of the Waves!" Amy shouted as Sonic did a few, small flips.

"Go Sonic!" Tails cheered as Knuckles ran to the announcer's booth.

When he returned the announcer started a song that had been requested by them to play for Sonic. It was their own little weird way of cheering for their blue friend.

He's ready, he's steady
He's up on his feet
Dancing on the water
To his own kind of beat.

He's in it; he's on it
He's rockin' the skills,
Tearin' up the current

Like the boy's got gills.

From out in the ocean Sonic heard the song and smiled. For the first time in his life he actually enjoyed being in the water.

Pop up
Leanin' side to side