04

Phillip took a deep breath, inhaling the scent of dust and peanuts. The new tent stood proud and he could hear the bustle of activity inside. Resting a hand on his side, flinching slightly at the feel of healing wounds, Phillip took another breath and marched into the tent.

"Hey, Phillip!" Lettie greeted, beaming at him. "How ya feeling?"

The corner of Phillip's lip curled up in a half-smile. "All right, I suppose. Where's Barnum?"

"In the back, of course, getting ready for his act. People have been talking about the return of the circus for days, y'know."

Phillip nodded absent-mindedly, flicked his wrist in a short wave goodbye, and set off to find the ringmaster. He still can't do much, not with his injuries from the fire healing as they were, but he felt the persistent urge to do something to help out. It would be the least he could do.

He owed Barnum his life.

Suddenly, a sizzle and pop sounded behind him. The young man gasped and twirled around, facing a couple of performers practicing a fire act. Eyes wide, face white, the performers took notice of the man staring at them and one raises his hand in acknowledgment.

"Sorry! We've got this taken care of." He motioned toward the flame, which was much more under control. Phillip turned around and hurried off without a word.

Not paying much attention to where he was going, the young man let out a gasp as he collided with someone and stumbled back. Hand falling to his side again, he lifted his eyes to see the ringmaster adjusting the brim of his top hat.

"Barnum!" Phillip exclaimed, delighted to find his target, hand falling from his side. "I'm glad I found you. I was wondering—"

The ringmaster hurried off without so much as a glance the younger man's way.

Phillip watched him go.

So, obviously, this takes place in the movie universe! Only difference (besides the pairing, ofc) is that Barnum is still ringmaster when the new circus opens~