38

"M-My parents," Phillip stammered, backing away from the window with his hands held up defensively. "They're gonna—they're g-gonna—"

Barnum's eyes flashed with alarm. He'd fucked up, he knew he fucked up bad, but if there was one thing he could do, it was attempt to keep Phillip safe. He sprinted down the hall and leaned over the stair railing.

"Don't open that door!" he screamed, praying Charity and the girls would hear.

When he went back into the bedroom, Phillip was on the floor shivering, shaking, his hands pressed up to his face. Barnum got on the floor beside him and wrapped his arms around the frightened man.

"I need you to hide," he murmured urgently. "Can you do that for me? Can you fit under the bed?"

"I - I can try."

Barnum nodded. "That's a good boy," he murmured, stroking Phillip's hair, trying to be as soothing as he could be under the circumstances. Phillip was shaking like a leaf, but he managed to crawl toward the bed.

Mr. Carlyle pounded on the door. So loud, Barnum could practically hear the door rattle on its hinges from downstairs.

Phillip yelped and bolted upwards, banging his head on the underside of the bed. A fresh wave of whimpers filled the air.

"It's all right," Barnum murmured. He pulled the younger man up and kissed him soft. He kissed him as if it would be the last time they'd ever make contact. Then he kissed the wet tears on the younger man's cheeks.

"PHILLIP!"

Barnum grabbed the man before he could cry again and gently pushed him under the bed. Rising to his knees, he grabbed a small pillow from off the bed and gave it to him.

"It'll be okay," he whispered. Phillip stared at him with horrified flooded eyes. "Be as quiet as you can, okay?"

Phillip nodded. He clutched the pillow tight, digging his nails into the soft material.

"I'll come back for you," Barnum promised. "And when I do, your father - and all those others outside - will be gone."

The sound of glass shattering downstairs made Phillip gasp. Alarms were going off in Barnum's head, but he clutched the younger man's hands.

"Pr-Promise?" Phillip rasped.

"I promise."

Barnum let go of Phillip's hands. He rose.

Then he was gone.