55

"Phin? Phineas, darling..."

Barnum felt something cool and wet on his forehead as he came to. He groaned as he brought his hand up to his forehead, flinching as he pressed his fingers against an angry red bump.

"Are you all right?" Charity's arms were around his back and he realized that it was Caroline pressing the rag to his head.

"Where - protestors—"

"They're gone. The authorities came and took them all away. Said they'll figure out the broken window in the morning - oh, Phineas."

Charity laid her head on her husband's shoulder and he wrapped an arm around her to pull her close. Looking up, he realized that his daughter's face was red, her eyes watery.

"C'mere," he murmured, exhaustion washing over him like an ocean's waves.

Caroline crawled into her father's lap and wearily closed her eyes. Barnum and Charity looked at one another.

"Bedtime," Charity murmured. Barnum nodded and lifted the girl in his arms as he stood. Charity helped tuck her in.

"I'll see you in the morning?" Charity asked after they'd put Caroline in bed.

Barnum nodded. He cupped her face in his hands and she tilted up as they kissed.

Sweet, tired.

Resigned.

Barnum sighed as she pulled away. He watched her make her way to the door, pausing only long enough to throw one final glance at him over her shoulder.

"Good night, Chairy."