05

After the show that night, Phillip couldn't find Barnum anywhere. He approaches Lettie, who's getting ready to leave the tent, and places a hand on her shoulder.

She whirls around, but her eyes soften upon seeing her intruder. "Hey, Phillip."

"Lettie, have you seen Barnum?"

She chuckles. "You've been asking for him quite a bit lately, haven't you?"

Phillip's cheeks warm up, but he quickly shakes his head. "I just wanted to thank him, you know. Thank him for...for—"

"Phillip, you've thanked that man a million times." The bearded woman chuckles. "But, if you must know, I believe he's taking the Missus and their girls out on a date night. He's just left, but if you hurry you may be able to catch him."

Phillip thanks Lettie and rushes out of the tent, hand falling to clutch his side as he half-runs, half-limps outside. In the distance, he can see Barmum helping one of his daughters into a horse carriage.

"Barnum!" Phillip calls as loud as he can manage. He wheezes a little, but his call has the desired effect. Barnum turns his head and they briefly make eye contact.

Phillip rushes forward as fast as he can, eyes lighting up as Barnum waits for him beside the carriage. They haven't had the chance to talk all day.

Then, much to Phillip's horror, Barnum turns to climbs into the carriage. He kisses his wife on the cheek.

"P.T., wait!" Phillip calls desperately.

The sound of hooves clacking burst through the young man's eardrums as the carriage takes off, leaving Barnum's partner behind. Heaving, Phillip holds a hand to his side and falls to his knees on the ground, unable to support himself on his wobbling legs any longer.

He lifts his head to watch the carriage go, tears of frustration and pain rolling down his cheeks.