24

Charity Barnum held her weeping husband to her chest. When his words subsided and only his teary gasps filled the air, she pressed her lips atop his head.

"You love him." She spoke the words carefully, tasting them, the 'L' word sounding foreign on her tongue.

"I do," Barnum rasped. He squeezed his eyes shut, shuddered. Her long, elegant fingers ran up and down his arm. She took a breath.

"Some people long for a life that is simple and planned," she murmured, bowing her head. Her eyes fluttered shut as she laced her fingers together with her husband's. "I threw away that possibility the moment I married you."

"I'm sor—"

"Phillip is a wonderful man. The girls love him."

"I know." Her words brought on a fresh wave of tears. "But, after I confronted him - he hates me, Charity."

"Hate is a strong word, my love," Charity murmured. "From what you've told me, he feels something for you too. He just...needs a little help in realizing it's all right."

Barnum lifted his head. "It's not that simple. Men like us, we - they kill us, Char. It...It's terrifying." His voice broke. "Me, I'm used to backlash. But, Phillip - Christ, the man is afraid of his own father."

"Perhaps that's why he's pushed you away," the woman mused. She squeezed her husband's hand.

"Because...of his father?"

"The world is scary enough and not everyone has a father as wonderful as yours was, Phin," Charity whispered. "Trust me - I should know."

"What can I do?" Barnum's voice cracked again and he wrapped his arms around his wife's waist. "He's...avoiding me."

At that, a small smile played at Charity's lips. She rested her hands on Barnum's cheeks and lifted his head. Soft hair brushed against his face as she looked down. "You waited for me, didn't you?"

A tear rolled down Barnum's cheek. Charity wiped it away with her thumb.

"Go to him, Phineas. Talk to him, let him know that he's all right, his father doesn't have to know. The least he can do is listen."