51

The doctor left, closing the door behind him. Once he'd gone, Barnum turned and bent over to press a feather-light kiss to Phillip's lips.

"I have to go," he murmured as he pulled away. Lacing their fingers together, he added, "you better not give up, do you hear me? Keep that heart beating."

"Phin," Phillip whispered. He ran his finger in circles over the back of Barnum's hand. "C-Careful." Tears filled his eyes. "Pr-Pr-Protes—"

"Don't worry about me." Barnum leaned down to kiss Phillip's brow one last time. "I'll be fine."

*

He arrived at home just as his girls were being led out of the house and to the carriage. Caroline held her grandmother's hand, but broke away as soon as she saw her father.

"Daddy!"

The girl flew as fast as her ballerina legs could carry her into her father's arms. He encased her into a hug.

"Oh, thank God I'm not too late," he muttered into the girl's hair. Her shoulders shook as she cried.

"Don't wanna go, Daddy," she begged again.

Barnum looked up into the face of his wife and her parents. Helen waved from the carriage - she was content with a couple dolls in her lap.

"It's time for her to go, Phineas," Mr. Hallet spat. Caroline cowered in her father's arms, but, when Barnum glanced at his wife, he saw but one emotion etched on her elegant features.

Pain.

"Father..." Charity closed her eyes as she took a deep breath and opened them again to make eye contact with Mr. Hallet. "Caroline is clearly uncomfortable with going. Perhaps it would be best if—"

"Certainly you're not letting a child dictate what you do and don't do, Charity."

"She just needs an extra day," Charity insisted. "Her father was gone all day today and—"

Mr. Hallet scoffed and glanced at Barnum out of the corner of his eye. "I wonder why."

Barnum had to bite his tongue to keep from saying something unnecessary. Charity was currently fighting for them to keep their daughter, who was still clinging to his legs, and he couldn't ruin that.

"Helen is all right to go," Charity pressed on. She looked at her younger daughter, "Aren't you, Helen?"

"Yes, Mommy."

"Caroline will join her tomorrow evening," she insisted.

Mr. Hallet sighed. His wife, who had been silently observing from the side of the carriage, finally stepped forward, and suddenly all eyes were on her.

"I will not call for bratty, misbehaved children in my home," she began. "If Caroline needs an extra day for her to clean up her act then I believe we should allow it, Daniel."

Her husband stiffened and clenched his jaw, but finally, after a moment, nodded his head.

"All right." His eyes flicked over to his oldest granddaughter. "Tomorrow evening, then."

Charity visibly relaxed. "Thank you, Father."

Barnum stood and watched with his wife and oldest daughter as Mr. and Mrs. Hallet climbed into the carriage. Helen waved and shouted goodbye and then the carriage was off. The sound of hootbeats filling the air, and the carriage turned around.

Making its way off the property, the carriage and its passengers passed a line of people.

They already held up signs and were making their way toward the Barnum mansion.