26

When Barnum found Phillip in the bar, just minutes after he'd passed out, he was overcome with that same feeling of urgency he had during the fire. He'd snapped at everyone to back off, someone go get a carriage, someone go find Phillip's home address, someone help wake his ex-partner up.

The feeling of carrying Phillip in his arms was also starting to become familiar, though he liked that feeling much more. He carried the man to his apartment and found a key underneath the welcome mat.

His heart sank as soon as he carried Phillip inside. He hadn't known his ex-partner had lived in such...bare conditions. Most of the apartment was one room, save for a bedroom and wash area, and the room, at that, was not a big one. Phillip's parents were wealthy, but, clearly, they had denied their only son much of that wealth.

Now, as Barnum sat propped up against the headboard of the rickety bed, he waited for Phillip to wake up. The bed, like the rest of the apartment, was small and modest, barely big enough to fit two, and the younger man had curled himself around Barnum's waist, arm draped over the man's stomach. Barnum breathed deep and ran his fingers through Phillip's silky hair.

Finally, a soft groan alerted Barnum to his ex-partner's rousing. That groan became louder, more pronounced, as Phillip brought his hands to his bruised face.

"Hey," Barnum murmured.

"Hmm?" Phillip frowned, scrunching up his nose.

He looked up into the ringmaster's concerned eyes.