32

After the show, Barnum pulled Phillip to the side.

"See?" he grinned. "I told you nothing would go wrong."

Phillip scoffed, but a moment later his expression softened. As Barnum took his hat off, he reached up to lay a hand on the ringmaster's cheek. "How's your head?" he murmured.

"Don't you worry about me." The ringmaster's grin widened, but something flashed in his eyes and Phillip tilted his head to the side. "There was...something I'd like to ask you, Phillip."

"Hmm?"

"Well, I—" Barnum glanced around. They were out of view of the exiting audience and the circus acts had already begun a clean-up. "I was wondering, 'Lip, if you'd like to...come over for the evening."

Phillip pulled back, his lips parting in surprise. Something hot coiled in his stomach.

Upon seeing his expression, Barnum flushed. "Not like that! I, er...well, your apartment is so small, and I don't..." Barnum trailed off, embarrassed, his cheeks tainted pink. He cleared his threat. "It's - well, I don't very much like the idea of you alone in that apartment, 'Lip."

"Barnum—"

"We'll set you up in the guest bedroom, just as before, and I'm sure the girls would love to have you over—"

Phillip pressed a finger to Barnum's lips. Barnum froze, his lips puckered, his eyes flicking to the young man standing before him.

Phillip's smile was small, sweet. "I would love to, Barnum. But Charity—?"

"As long as you and I stay apart," Barnum breathed. "She...well, as I said, she's dealing, but we haven't told the girls yet—"

"That's all right. I understand." Phillip reached up, wrapped his arms around Barnum's neck. "I would love to stay with you, Phineas."

Barnum smiled. Phillip reached up and tangled his fingers in Barnum's wavy hair as the older man met his lips in a soft kiss.

Behind them, some feet away, a shadow moved in the corner.