61

Phillip's scream is piercing.

The doctor in the room appears by his side in a flash. The man's hands are on his shoulders, but Phillip thrashes. He won't look anywhere but at the unmoving man in the bed beside him.

"Sir? You need to calm down! Sir!"

Phillip tries to reach for the man in the other bed, but the doctor holds him back. He strains against the doctor's hold and it rips a fresh wave of pain through his stitches. His screams grow in pitch, but he doesn't care. He wouldn't care if he bled out right there in that hospital bed.

Phin is, he is—

The sound of the screams cause other people, doctors and patients alike, to come running. The doctors try to keep the curious onlookers away, but there are two people that they can't hold back.

Charity.

Caroline.

Phillip's screams dissolve into harsh sobs as he looks at the two, Barnum's wife and daughter, and he brings his hands up to his face. One of the doctors goes over to Barnum

(his body)

and attempts to block the sight, but it's too late.

Caroline has seen him.

"DADDY!" she shrieks. Charity's eyes are horrified and knowing as she tries to hold her daughter back. "WHAT'S WRONG WITH DADDY?!"

"Everybody out!" a doctor commands. The other doctors in the room surround Barnum, but

(it's too late)

Phillip knows it won't do any good. How long had he been asleep? Could he have helped Barnum had he stayed awake?

(he was fine before!)

"Cardiac arrest," one doctor murmurs.

(was he, though?)

"Too much smoke intake?"

(he said he loved you)

"Most certainly. They call these kind of attacks widow-makers."

(phineas loved you)

The room spins. Charity stands mute, clutching her daughter, and Caroline's sobs pierce the air, but the loudest thing of all is the doctors. The damn doctors.

The room is spinning. Darkening. Phillip gasps for breath.

"Time of dea—"

.

.

.

(hello hello I am a 19 year old writing Barlyle fanfiction inspired by a certain lil TV show at 1:20 in the morning)