Chapter 1

Being a servant for a royal family wasn't a bad thing really. Well not all the time. They treated me well. The King and Queen of Agora saved my life. I owe everything to them. They treat me like their own, but of course. There's limits. I know my ranks. I'm not royalty, they are. They have duties to their kingdom. They have their own child, a son, the next heir of the throne. I wasn't going to step on his toes. Besides, we never really got along anyway.

I just do as I'm told no questions asked. I get along with everyone, the other servants, cooks and castle staff are equally amazing. With the exception of a few people, but then again I'm sure I have that everywhere. While most of the staff commuted I lived here, in the palace. Of course, it wasn't anything fancy and I basically had to walk a mile to get to the nearest bathroom. But again, not complaining. A few people say they are jealous that I get to live in the castle, but that's the downside, I barely leave. I'm only here because I have no family, no one I can run to. Like I said, the King and Queen saved my life.

Third Person POV

"Mamma!" The 10 year old screamed into the streets. Houses glowed a mix of oranges, reds and yellows. She would have stopped and stared in awe if she wasn't so terrified. "Papa!" Her throat scratched the more she screamed for her parents. A loud squeal of fright left her lips as someone lifted up from behind. "Shhh young one please, we'll find them, I promise you we will find them." As she was placed in front of the man situated on a grey horse she looked back to him. She gasped seeing the King who was currently holding her steady on the horse.

The young girls screams had silenced out of pure shock. She didn't understand what was happening. She didn't understand why people were pulling women from their homes, she didn't understand the screams of other kids. She didn't understand how she had lost her parents, she didn't know where they were. She just didn't understand.

Your POV

King Barnes took me back to the castle for safety. I was placed in a room with their son. James, he was about 5 years older than me if anything. Naïve, wanting to fight alongside his father in a war I still had no knowledge of. He didn't like how his father looked at me, like he was determined to keep me safe. James knew from that moment on that I'd somehow etch my way into their lives. He hated that. I didn't get the royal treatment though, oh god no, in fact the queen had insisted that it'd be safer for me to lay low for a while as one of their servants. That was over 12 years ago and here I am. I never understood their logic of keeping me safe but I never questioned it either. They were my King and Queen. I obeyed them. I owed them.

"Y/N, my dear." I snapped out of my thoughts with a soft hum. As I looked over to my doorway I stood up abruptly placing my book to one side. I nodded my head as a small bow and straightened myself out. "Yes, your highness." The Queen shook her head rolling her eyes as if I wouldn't notice. "My dear, how many times do we have to tell you, you don't have to call us that."

"Yes, your... high... maje... Yes, Winifred." She had let out the most angelic laugh I'd ever heard as a deep blush rose on my cheeks. After all these years you'd think it'd be easy for me to call them as their first names. "Come." She held out her arm for me to take, which I wasted no time in doing so.

Next thing I know we were wandering the palace. In between our small talk people rushed to her with choices of different things that were pretty much the same, but with different names. Egg shell white or cream? Seriously? I raised an eyebrow at all the choices when Winifred turned to me making my mouth gap as she pointed to the two choices in front of us. "What do you think my dear?" My eyes widened much like Scott's as he looked back to me. I knew everyone individually so I knew his shock almost matched mine, if not mine outweighed his slightly. "I uh... cream?" I looked back to the queen biting my lip a little before seeing her smile. "Perfect, cream it is." We watched Scott scurry away before carry on our little walk. I knew there had got to be a point to all of this. "We're hosting a ball tomorrow evening - " Called it. " - and I want you to attend." I nearly choked on air. "I... " She held up her hand stopping me from talking. We halted in our tracks as she turned to face me. "I know you have never been to a ball outside of your duties, Y/N, but you will attend. I will not take no for an answer. I've seen you dance when you think no ones watching, so you can't tell me you don't know how to. You are to meet with Wanda to get fittings for your dress at noon no later..." I definitely zoned out after that because I don't remember a word of what Winifred said next. "I look forward to seeing you there." I blinked myself back to reality nodding, hoping that I didn't take too much of a pause beforehand.

I stood there with my mouth ajar watching the queen walk away with a ecstatic smile written on her lips. Servants, chefs and other people swarming her for her choices. "Oh man..." I breathed out after swallowing the air that had clumped up in my throat and turned to the clock on the wall. 11:50. I gasped, "oh shoot!" I forced myself not to curse in consciousness that I would have to be regal and polite in front of royalty. Shit. Other royals. This is not going to be fun. I made my way to where Wanda was making it just in time before it hit noon. "I'm s-sorry, Wan-Wanda." I wheezed holding my sides. Wanda just laughed ushering me towards her taking my hand. Wanda was definitely one of my closest friends here. We just clicked. She never got jealous or angry if I spoke to the king or queen, or they seemed to treat me, if you will. She understood. "Stand over there once you've stopped hyperventilating and I'll measure you up." She sent me a smile which automatically made me grin back and do as I was told.