Chapter 9

There was a knock at the door. Steve stopped reading and went to get the door but I beat him to it. I opened the door and James was standing. His expression shown concern. "Is everything alright?" This was the kindest his words had ever been. "I'm fine." James looked at Steve and glared. "What's the matter?" He said pulling me out of the room and shutting the door behind me. "I don't want to do this anymore." my voice shook. "What-" I stood up and walked away. I made my way to the garden and sat back at the bench. I looked at the sky and felt myself melt away. Everything I had done was perfect until this happened. I didn't want to continue living. I just wanted to stay here, at this bench. I felt something cold land on the back of my neck. I looked around me to see that it had started to snow. I smiled with the tears flowing yet again. I laid down on the bench and let myself relax. I would have fallen asleep had it not been for the yelling from across the courtyard. I could hear Steve and James fighting. "Why do you assume I did something wrong?" "You were the only one with her and she was clearly crying! What else should I think?" "I don't know! There wasn't a problem until the dressmaker said something to her."

The noise stopped and my curiosity got the better of me. I sat up brushing the snow off myself. I went to look in the courtyard and both Steve and James were nowhere to be found. I went inside and snuck back to my room. Suddenly, I heard footsteps back to my room and quietly stepped into my closet. I didn't even know why I was hiding. I just was. I heard the door slam open and the foot steps coming in. "Where is she?" "She could be out in the garden." "I'll check there you should check with the cooks." Their voices seemed panicked. They rushed around the room before swiftly leaving. As they shut the door behind themselves I quietly stepped back out of the closet. That must have been Steve and James. I wondered who they were looking for. Could it have been me? Or was it Wanda? My heart pounded and blood roared in my ears. I grabbed a book from my shelf and sat in a corner reading to soothe myself. I didn't know what was going on but if they were looking for me I didn't want them to find me.

I heard my name being called outside. I stepped over to my window and peaked out. Steve and James were looking in the garden and all over the courtyard. They ran inside suddenly. I panicked again and sat back into my corner not wanting to be seen. I could feel myself shaking. I instictually grabbed a fist full of my hair and pulled it feeling as if everything around me was falling apart because of me. I didn't realize I wasn't breathing and as foot steps came back to my room I blacked out.