Chapter 3

Your POV

My eyes followed up the arm rested on my shoulder. Steve looked down at me sympathetically. "Is everything alright (Y/N)?" His voice was soft. You quickly averted your eyes and attempted to stop the tears. "It's nothing. Why don't you go hang out with someone more important." Steve sat down next to me and put his arm around my shoulder. "Don't pay attention to what he says." I sniffled and let out a staggered sigh. His thumb rubbed my arm in an attempt to comfort me.

As I calmed down and went to clean myself up Steve went to re enter the ballroom and turned to me, "I'll be waiting for you." He smiled as he turned back and opened the door for himself. You went to go fix your appearance.

Steve's POV

I went back into the ballroom but moments after I entered the king approached me, "Where's (Y/N)?" He spoke almost as if he were panicking. "She went to go get cleaned up. She'll be coming in momentarily." I hoped my saying so would calm him. In fact it seemed it did. He took a deep breath and released it. "Thank you. At least when James has no manner you do." The king sounded relieved and (Y/N) walked back in. The king nodded for me to go to her. I walked over and her smile was weak but it still seemed sincere. I turned her around making her laugh. I saw Bucky for a split second. He seemed like he wanted to slam his fist through my face.

Your POV

Steve playfully danced with me and others began to join in around us. I saw Steve looked over my shoulder and raise an eyebrow. I knew he was looking at James. I bet he was still mad that I'm here. Steve smirked before I was turned around by James. He set out his hand for me to hold. I put my hand in his and he gently spun me. His smile was small but noticeable. I felt no need to get too comfortable being that he was probably doing this to appease the king or to seem amiable.

---Time skip---

The ball ended and everyone left. I went to help clean up before I was pulled away by the queen. "You attended, you are not allowed to clean up after this one." I sighed with a chuckle. "Yes your Maj... Winifred." The queen laughed and lead you back to your room. I stepped in and went look for my pajamas. I quickly changed carefully managing the dress set it aside. I heard a knock at my door. I rushed over to it thinking it could be the king. I opened the door, "Yes your ma-" I stop when I realize it was James. He leaned on the door frame. His expression was stale. "Why did you come back?" He looked down and clearly had remorse in his voice. You huffed, "Steve made me feel better. After all, the king and queen told me to. It's not like I'm allowed to refuse a request." He made a quiet growl. It was paralyzing when he stepped in slammed that door and pushed me back against it in one motion.

"What's with you and Steve all of a sudden? You haven't even known him for a day and you're already all over him." his voice was rough and irritated. You continued to avoid eye contact with him. He grabbed my jaw adjusting my gaze toward him. His grip was surprisingly gentle and it was just now that I realized how amazing his eyes were. "It's not like I'm fawning over him. It's just that he was nice and he had been the only one I spoke to other than you on occasion. And no offence but you made it quite clear you had nothing but distain in regard to me." I pushed his hand away from my face. His hand made its way to my hip, "Do you still think that?" He spoke inches from my face. "I don't know what to think." The words left my tongue just the moment before his lips softly met mine. His hand at the door made its way to my neck and the one resting at my hip shifted under the edge my shirt.

The cold skin contrasting with my warmth forced me to moan into the kiss. I could feel him smirk before licking my bottom lip asking for entrance. I allowed him in and his tongue moved rhythmically with the kiss. He pulled me closer making his body flush against mine. He groaned as I shifted my leg rubbing against his groin. There was a knock at the door and our activities were immediately halted.