Chapter Seven

By two o’clock in the morning, I had finished a bottle and a half of champagne, but that still didn’t seem to advert my thoughts or numb the confusion. I couldn’t quite get to that level of drunk, and I didn’t know why, but I knew I had never been able to. I just thought that this time would be a little different, but it was all the same. No matter how much I drunk, I didn’t go numb.

I leaned back, and faced Aiden. “Why didn’t you tell me before?”

Aiden merely shrugged. “As I said, I wasn’t allowed to tell you. It was against regulations, but there was nothing about if you were to find out on your own.”

“I trusted you,” I whispered. “And what the fuck was that about leaving me and ignoring me for over a month?! I thought you were supposed to keep an eye on me ‘twenty-four seven’.”

Again, he shrugged. He was still in his suit, only he had taken off his mask, and I found that his eyes only turned violet when he had the mask on. “I was still watching you, but I couldn’t bear being around you. I felt so guilty. I knew I had gained your trust as Aiden and as A, and you were so close to finding out who I was. I didn’t want you to find out that way.” He downed the rest of the champagne, but he seemed as affected by the liquor as I was. He leaned suggestively over the small coffee table. I smelt the alcohol on him, but he still seemed one hundred percent in control. “Why? Did you miss me?” He whispered.

Blood rushed to my cheeks as I tried to keep my composure. I was supposed to be mad at him. “Why would I miss such an arrogant asshole?”

He snickered. “Aw, what happened to the innocent and starry eyed Nick?”

“What happened to the old Aiden?”

“It was all an act,” he stood up, making sure not to wake a sleeping Maree. He walked over to the window and stared out absentmindedly. “I tried to act so cold because it was easier to have people hate me than having to lie to more people that I cared about. Professor Collette is actually a Super, too. That's why he assigned me to ‘tutor’ you. It was really a way to keep more of an eye out on you.” Still standing at the window, he turned to face me, features completely serious. “You managed to break through my cold demeanor.” He chuckled emotionlessly. “I must admit, I was quite jealous that you started to develop feelings for that façade of mine… there was nothing I wanted more than to just tell you who I really was. Isn't that funny? I was jealous of myself.”

There was no way in hell that I wanted to admit that I also had feelings for not only Aiden, but also for A. Was that the reason why I felt so drawn to the both of them… because really, they were one in the same person. I wasn’t going to admit that outloud, more so because I didn’t want to admit it to myself.

“The only thing I’m worried about is where we go on from here? What am I supposed to do about this whole Heart of Kronos bullshit?”

“About that… Nick you’ve gotta understand that from here on out, things are going to change-”

“You think I don’t fucking know that?” I snapped, which I understood wasn’t fair on his account, but I was stressed. I understood that there was no possible way of things going back to the way they were. But what I also understood was that this was way bigger than me, and I had to do what was needed of me, even though I had no idea what that was. I apologized silently and took a deep breath. “What I want to know is what do we do now?”

“Now?” He asked and I nodded. “Well, I guess there is no other choice but to introduce you to my boss.”

“Right now?” I glanced at the clock. Three thirty in the morning.

“You got something better to do?”

“No-”

“Exactly,” he moved to stand right in front of me, but it was kind of awkward in my case as his crotch was right in front of my face and his suit outlined his cock pretty nicely, but I forced myself to keep eye contact with him. “The sooner we get to headquarters, the better. Oh and by the way, we need to bring sleeping beauty over there.”