Chapter Nineteen

A/N: Yay GUYS, WE'VE REACHED 1K READS. It may seem small compared to other books, but this honestly means the absolute world to me! Thank you all for your constant support, and to say thank you, I'm in the midst of writing a small present for you of Nick and Aiden getting teleported into an alternate universe. I will put that in a separate book so it doesn't interfere with the flow of this one. Also, I'll be putting small extra short one shot stories of Playing Heroes, just in case you guys wanna read that too.

Anyways, please enjoy! Don't forget to quickly vote and comment your thoughts. I always read them and they're the best motivation for me!

BTW, I'm on holiday and didn't bring my laptop, so this was all written on my phone!

Chapter Nineteen

Nick

All I could smell when I came to was rust, mold and dirt. Distant dripping noise echoed in a lulling, constant pattern. My back ached, a hard surface beneath me… But that was all that I knew about my surroundings. I still had the dusty bag over my head and my arms were tightly secured behind my back to the point where my arms grew painfully numb.

You can't panic, Nick, I thought to myself. You gotta think.

I fought off the steady rising of panic in my chest but it was so hard to think. I couldn't even move let alone see my surroundings. I was blind and helpless.

I could hear a distant familiar whimper.

“Maree?” I harshly whispered, trying not to gain too much attention.

“Nick?” I heard her whisper back. “Why am I here? I was HQ and then… and then… Oh, God Nick, I can't remember anything.”

I grit my teeth, annoyed at the fact that I was so fucking helpless at the moment. “It's going to be okay, Maree.”

I tested the bonds at my wrists, and sure enough, they were tied tight. I wouldn't be surprised if my wrists were purple. I wracked my brain to think of anything. Anything. But, my mind remained frustratingly blank, my mind not prepared for that situation. I tried to calm my own breathing. Then I gasped, eyes opening in the dusty bag.

Aiden.

Squeezing my eyes, I tried to feel that familiar tingly feeling I usually felt when I telepathically spoke with Aiden. But when I tried, I felt as if I had hit a mental brick wall that hit me with a wave of pain, kind of like an intense brain freeze. I tried once more in desperation, only to be met with the same result. I tried and tried until I was left a panting mess on the cold uneven floor with a massive migraine.

It had to have been the work of Ashton, that asshole.

First thing was first, I figured it would be best for me to try and get a sense of my surroundings. Although I couldn't see, I still had my hands and despite them being tied behind my back, they weren't completely useless to me.

Grunting, I struggled to get to my knees, then slowly to me feet, my knees wobbly. I took a measured step forward, then another, until my chest hit a solid, uneven stoney wall. Turning so that my bound hands touched the wall, I moved around the room, feeling the walls and counting my steps to get a small sense of my surroundings. I counted twenty steps width wise and twenty steps length wise. One of the walls were in fact thick iron bars, caging me in. There wasn't any furniture, but I had cut my hand as I ran it across one of the walls on a loose nail-

Wait, I thought.

One, two, three, four… I hastily counted the steps till my hand caught the old nail. I managed to hook the knot of my bounds over the head of the nail, and with enough wiggling, I felt the knot loosen just enough for me to yank my hands from the bonds. I gasped as I tore the woolen bag from my head, taking in greedy gulps of air, although it wasn't any better. The air was damp and moldy.