13

*****

*Tyler*

I growled at Izabella trying to make her stay where she was, we weren't surrounding her, it would have only made things worse. We didn't want her to feel like we were about to gang up on her attacking her.

She growled before she turned and ran.

'I got her.' Kaden linked me before he sprinted after her and jumped over her so he landed in front of her. She growled at him. She leaned back getting ready to pounce on him but we all looked in the direction of her pack as we heard something that sounded like a gunshot.

I heard a whimper and looked at Izabella, her irises were the only thing glowing topaz now, and not her entire eyes. She was back in control. I knew it wouldn't last long if she heard another shot sound.

'Shift back.' I linked her. She looked at me. 'I'll go check on your pack, shift back and go to the packhouse.' I said.

"Izabella," we turned to Joe. He opened his mouth but another shot sounded, this time closer to us, and this time a scream accompanied it. And just like that, Izabella was gone again.

Her wolf growled at us. She turned to run but I bolted at her, I tacked her so she fell onto the ground beneath me while I held my paw to her neck so she couldn't bite me. I was a lot stronger than she was, luckily. She growled.

"Keep her there, she'll get tired of it eventually and either fall asleep or shift back," Wayne said. I looked down as Izabella's wolf kept growling. Something tells me she won't get tired for a while longer.

I felt her jerk as another shot went off before she whimpered. What was going on?

"Ty, you stay with her, we'll help her pack," Joe said. I agreed and all of them disappeared leaving me with Izabella. She whined softly. I was going to punch Sean in his face for this, even if he was only trying to protect her.

-----

*Izabella*

I opened my eyes slowly, I was in my room at Joe's house, the curtains were open and I could see the stars in the sky as well as the forest beneath it. I felt a pat on my head.

"Ian..." I heard Joe. Wait. Dad?

"It's alright. We'll be out as soon as we have our houses rebuilt." I heard Dad. I felt him stroke my hair lightly.

"Stay as long as you need to, just... do you want to talk about it?" Joe asked.

"There's nothing to talk about really. We were attacked, people died. It's the usual. We'll get over it." I didn't recognise this. He never spoke this way. His voice sounded drained of any emotion and energy. "Hey, Izzy. We missed you." He said. He probably knew I was awake the entire time. I turned my head to him.

"What happened?" I asked, it was too dark to actually see his face.

"I'm sorry." He muttered. I sat up.

"Why?" I asked, I looked to the doorway where Joe stood, he didn't look happy. "What's going on? You were attacked, you got out, right?" I stopped. "Who died?" I whispered.

"I'll - uh... Check on your boys." I saw Dad's silhouette nod before Joe left shutting the door, leaving us in complete darkness.

"Cole's alright, right?" I asked.

"Cole's fine," Dad said.

"Hayley? Corey?" I asked.

"They're alright, Sweetheart." He said.

"Then who? What happened? Who got hurt? Dad, tell me," I said.

He was quiet.

"Dad... Who?" I whispered.

"S -" his voice cracked. I was stunned. He was going to cry? Had he already been crying? I reached out and turned the bedside lamp on. I gasped seeing his tear-stricken face. His eyes were bloodshot, his nose red.

"Daddy -" I beg.

"I'm so sorry." He cut me off covering his face.

"D -" I began but he was gone. I felt wind and turned to see the balcony doors open, he was gone. He was crying. Why? Who got hurt?

I got out of bed and ran out of my room. Familiar scents filled my nose. Cohen. Adan. Gray. Where were they?

I sniffed the air before I followed their scents to Tyler's room. I pushed the door open not bothering to knock.

Cohen was standing staring out of the glass-covered side of the room, his face emotionless. Gray's face was the same as he sat on the bed looking at the wall across the room. Adan was on the floor, his hands covering his face. He had never been one to hide his emotions. Sean was next to Gray, he looked at me, regret and pain in his eyes.

"Iz -" Cohen began.

"What's going on? Why's Dad crying? And why's Adan Crying? Who got hurt? Who -" I stopped as it hit me like I had been thrown into a lake of ice-cold water. "Where's mom?" I whispered.

Cohen swallowed looking out of the window and I saw Gray bite his lip hard but a tear fell down his face. I felt like I was getting weaker by the second, going numb.

"Izab -" Sean began.

"Where is she?!" I raised my voice feeling a huge knot in my throat as tears filled my eyes. Cohen looked at me and blinked as he swallowed.

"She..." He cleared his throat, "She..." He looked down. "I-I can't do this. This isn't happening." He muttered before he was gone, the same way Dad went and yet he wasn't fast enough to stop the tear that fell to the ground where he had been standing.

"Where is she?!" I was frustrated, scared.

"She's dead, okay?!" Adan was standing, he looked broken and livid at the same time. "She's f*cking dead! Is that what you wanted to hear?!" He shouted.

I stumbled back until my back hit the wall. No. She can't be. I shut my eyes. She can't be. I couldn't breathe. No. Not Mom. I covered my face trying to breathe as tears clouded my vision. I clenched my fist. She couldn't be dead. I couldn't breathe and I couldn't cry, I couldn't even swallow.

I didn't move as Adan hugged me tightly and then Gray did too. They said nothing but when Gray began crying so did I. I broke down.

*****