Journey

Ofures POV:

Ifeanyi stopped at ihiala to buy banana and groundnuts, apparently they were sold at a very cheap price there.

While we were in the car, some hawkers passed by with maggot looking things on sticks. I had seen them before but never had any to eat though, but i heard they were delicious and nutritious.

"Mommy what is that thing".

Just then I realized my daughter had never seen it before, she probably hadn't seen a lot of things. Seeing as she had never travelled out of the village her entire life. Shame filled me, I was a horrible mother, ofure you could have at least brought the poor girl to Benin for holidays. My conscience began to judge me, there were lots things i could have done to be closer to her, other than seeing her once or twice a year, especially when I was troubled. I used her, all the time, and did nothing for her in return.

" they are edible maggots my love".

I watched her struggle to pronounce edible, that was my child. I let her turn into a village girl. I could have at least saved up and bought cable for her so she could watch cartoons or something to improve her vocabulary. I felt so bad, what if the kids in Benin make fun of her because of her Igbo accent, what if she couldn't meet up, socialize. what if she ended up being bullied, kids these days could be cruel.

Ifeanyi interrupted my thoughts when he shifted his attention from the hawker to me.

"Baby do you want anything else".

" no sweetie, the banana will do".

"Pee pee international"

"Uncle ify" she giggled. I hadn't realized they had nicknames for each other.

"Do you want anything else"

"Yes, buy me ehjibu maggot". She smiled sweetly, ifeanyi looked at me for an explanation as he didn't understand what she was saying.

" edible sweetheart, say edible".

"Edibu". I just let it go, there were lots to teach her. I only hoped I would be able to manage my time. From juggling my own school, to taking care of her, to building my relationship with ifeanyi.

" baby she meant those maggot looking things on sticks, get her only one though. I don't know if she'll like it or if it will affect her". I guess I had to learn the art of saying no, it was much easier when I was the cool, fun aunt that bought her nice things. And grandma would be the killjoy that would take them from her.

Ifeanyi bought a stick of the stuff and handed it to her, she didn't like it at all. So I packed them up and threw them away, then I handed her some banana and groundnuts. She loved those apparently because her eyes lit up when I offered them to her.

Ifeanyi, always a sweetheart noticed the worried look on my face and asked what was wrong.

"Not here". I said and he understood that I didn't want to talk in front of her, so he took out his iPad, scrolled to movies and set moana to play. Then he handed it to her with a pair of headphones, but not before adjusting the volume so it wouldn't hurt her ears. I wanted to kiss him, there is always this inexplicable joy a mother feels when another person loves and accepts her child.

" moana, seriously" There was no way, I wasn't going to yab him.

"I knew it! You couldn't just surprise me and let it go, mba! You must talk!". He put his seatbelt back on and started the ignition.

" I'm just wondering what an old man like you is doing with moana".

"Its a great movie, for all ages".