Dilating

Ofure's water broke at exactly 10:26 on a Sunday morning. We packed our baby bag and headed to the hospital. Ofure didn't allow the doctor tell us the sex of the baby during our many scans, she said she wanted it to be a surprise.

As soon as her water broke I called her sister, that was the only person I could think of to call. Omo met us at the hospital accompanied by Egor.

"She's fine, labour hasn't started yet, her water broke prematurely I reckon she has about 12-24 hours or more before the baby comes you can go home and come back if you like". The doctor with kind eyes said, after he had examined her.

" When she is in severe pain? No o! We'll take your best room and wait". I said.

"Might be a long wait sir, she might not go into labour until the next 2 days" the doctor kindly reaffirmed.

"We'll take a room and wait doctor, thank you".

"don't I get a say in this" Ofure quipped in.

"I'm sorry babe, not this one, I'm not taking any chances" I said and the doctor smiled.

"I'm guessing you're going to be a dad for the first time" I nodded and he smiled again "well, this type of reaction is expected. But we'll admit her, if that's what you really want".

"It is doctor, thank you". We shake hands and he leaves to go instruct the nurses to prepare a room for us.

Moments later, ofure gets addmited. I leave for a bit to go and buy fruits and provisions - I also pop by the house to grab more things that we might need when the baby comes. When I come back, i relieve Egor and Omo, promising to call them when she goes into labour. I wanted to spend these precious moments waiting to see our child together, all by ourselves.

Sunday passed quickly, ofure and I played the ludo that was given to us by one of the nurses, she beat me every time, or rather, I let her win; she was going to give me the greatest gift of all in a short while, she deserved it.

Monday morning and still no contractions, I could sense ofure's frustration so I did everything in my power to keep her happy.

" I hate my nose". She said in the middle of trying to take a photo.

"Because?..."

"Babe look at it nau, so swollen! Why can't I be glamorously pregnant like them Kim kardashian"

"And who says you're not glamorously pregnant?"

"Stop am abeg! I don't need your plenty sweet talk, see this picture. See nose like mushroom"

"I don't know what you're on about. You look perfect to me".

"Perfect enough for you to still have sex with me".

" we had sex two days ago didn't we"

"What about now".

" won't it hurt the baby?"

"Only one way to find out... DOCTOR!" She yelled for the doctor and i covered her mouth.

"God you're so naughty! Are you really going to ask the doctor that?"

"You know I would"

"Yea I know the crazy woman I'm marrying" she smiles at me, skin dewy and glossy under the soft fluorescent light, I had never met anyone so beautiful in my entire life.

"My God, I love you".

" I love you too papi. Come lie beside me" she shifts a bit so I can get into the hospital bed with her, I do. She puts her head on my chest and I hold her close to me.