Twelve

The next few days with Dewees in the house were a bit of a struggle, but me and Kellin managed to cope okay. We basically divided up our time so that one of us was always home to keep an eye on him. Whilst I was on duty he'd go round Vic's, and when he came back I'd go sneak round to Gerard's and spend a few precious hours in his company.

Dewees himself wasn't doing so well. The withdrawal symptoms were hard hitting and his paranoia that Ian was onto us was spiralling out of control, but after the first initial 24 hours I began to see some improvement in his state, even if they were only minor. He'd began to eat regularly and me and Kellin had hid any alcohol in the house as a precaution to make sure there was nothing around for him to try and use as a distraction. 

Of course, Kellin felt bad having to lie to Vic about why he couldn't come hang round his, but at the same time he didn't want to put Vic in any danger or involve him in any way, so he just tried to find minor excuses as to why they should definitely go hang out at Vic's after his band practice, and so far it seemed to be working. 

It was Sunday morning, and college was starting again tomorrow, and to say I was concerned about me and Kellin both having to leave Dewees in the house by himself for the day was an understatement. 

"I'll be okay" he reassured me for the fourth time as I poured us both coffee "really, you both don't need to babysit me. There's no way I'd leave this house, and it's not like there's any drugs in it. Besides, the tremors finally starting to go in my hand and I actually almost feel alive again." 

"Good, because your life kind of depends on not leaving this house" I didn't want to freak him out, but at the same time I needed to reassure myself he was going to be okay. 

"I'm aware" he rolled his eyes in a way that reminded me of the Dewees i'd first met in that very same house. That night seemed so long ago now, back when all he'd been was a guy that had tried to kiss me and weirdly actually lead me to my first kiss with Gerard. 

"Well, I need to pop out for a bit" I pulled on my battered trainers "but Kellin should be back from Vic's any minute now, so you shouldn't be alone for long. It might be good to a have a trial run anyway." 

"Relax Frank, I've got this" he smiled "where are you off to now anyway?" 

"Just tagging with Linds" I shrugged, and to be fair it wasn't a complete lie. I was going to do some tagging, but perhaps not for long as I wanted to get to Gerard's for when he got back from church. I'd only been able to see him for snippets of time these past few days and I was craving his company at this point. 

"Okay. Have fun" I had to stop myself from letting a smirk escape at that comment. Instead I just picked up my backpack and a bottle of water and headed for the door. 

***

"I mean, I know he's a bit gross and greasy at times, but he's actually so funny too Frank. You just need to get to know him a bit more, that's all." 

"Lynz, as much as I'm happy you're happy, I still don't think it's a good idea" we were walking along some of the back roads of town, heading to some spot Lynz had text to say  she'd stumbled across and was perfect for tagging. Normally I would be happy walking along with her talking about all kinds of crap, but the conversation had soon turned to none other than Bert McCracken and her desire for me to give him a proper chance. 

"Come on Frank, you've only met him twice" she rolled her eyes. 

"Yeah, the first was when I dealt him drugs and the second was when he spent the whole time flirting with you" I retorted "he's not good news you know, and I know i'm not exactly the best news either, but he hangs round with some bad crowds and he's not exactly picky about who he lets into his friendship circle..."