CHAPTER ONE

CHAPTER SUMMARY

Yuna Katayama is new to Konoha and a formidable kunoichi from her village. After an intense battle between the Seventh Hokage's son and another shinobi, the village was left in shambles. Yuna's father, Masaru, a retired shinobi and a master carpenter made the decision to move his family to Konohagakure in order to help rebuild the village.

Ataru, Yuna's adoptive brother and beloved friend, has great care and concern for her happiness and well-being, that is, until she meets a Chūnin by the name of Boruto Uzumaki and will do anything and everything that he can to be with her and make her his. Will Boruto be able to protect Yuna, someone who's precious to him when he himself couldn't protect the village against Kawaki's destruction?

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

My first Boruto story! I was so excited to write this. And I actually had four prologues written and two different ways this story could have come out. BUT, I chose the one I've been going back to more. Note, this is gonna take place after the whole Kawaki destruction. There is not much known about Boruto's eye and the story behind the whole Kawaki ordeal, so I'm just gonna roll with it. I'm really not sure on the rating, but I think as the story progresses there will be a few lemons and rating will go up. Just letting you know. :P Please drop a review, let me know what you think. Give me that motivation! Thanks and enjoy.

CHAPTER ONE

"Tadaima," Six-year-old Yuna called out the traditional greeting as she closed the front door and kicked off her shoes.

"Okaeri, Yuna." Her mother's voice rang out from the kitchen, and then she appeared in the entryway, drying off her hands with a dish towel. "Where's Ataru and your father?"

"Pappa's taking him to register at the academy today."

Yuna saw her mother's smile fade, and realized it was probably from the look on her own face. Her mother stood up and came to her.

"What's wrong, sweetheart? Why the long face?"

The young girl shook her head, sending black bangs into downcast eyes.

"Baby, talk to me, I can't help you if you don't. Now, what's wrong?"

Yuna hesitantly lifted teal eyes to meet hers.

"Momma, why does everyone in pappa's clan hate me? Did I do something wrong?" she said softly, voice wavering.

The question caught Nariko by surprise. Her mouth dropped as she gasped.

It all started years before the Fourth Great Shinobi War, back when Nariko herself was a young girl. For decades, the Katayama clan and the Hoga clan had greatly despised one another.

The Katayama clan was considered a powerful clan. Their fame and prowess stretched far and wide, leading others to both praise and covet their abilities due to their Kekkei Genkai; Flare Release which allowed them to combine fire and wind chakra natures to utilize explosive chakra.

The Hoga's were reputed as a strong and wealthy clan for they too also possessed a Kekkei Genkai; Carbon Release, which allowed them to manipulate the carbon in the earth as well as forming diamonds. Unfortunately, the clan's leader was a greedy man and produced these beautiful gems to surrounding villages until supply exceeded demand, leaving the village broke.

The Katayama clan noticed this, and out of concern that their village would be next to be hit with financial loss, assembled several shinobi from outside villages and clans to eliminate the Hoga Clan. However, one managed to survive, a young girl named Nariko, a wielder of the kekkei genkai.

Years later, during the Fourth Great Shinobi War, members of the White Zetsu Army infiltrated the Alliance's ranks, posing as Allied Shinobi. While Masaru was trying to fend off several Zetsu, they began to get the upper hand but were quickly dealt with thanks to Nariko releasing her carbon spikes.

That evening, while they rested, Nariko tended to Masaru's wounds.

"You're a Hoga..."

"I am," she said quietly, as she began to wrap a fresh bandage around his bicep. "You're Masaru of the Katayama clan."

A moment of suffocating silence passed between them.

"Why?" he finally asked, his voice just above a whisper. "You could have easily let them kill me, but you didn't?"

What happened next took Masaru by surprise.

As she secured the end of the bandage by folding it over and tying a knot in the end, she tilted her head and smiled saying, "Because we're comrades, aren't we?"

Masaru's eyes widen. Even still, she accepted him despite what had happened between their clans.

After the Fourth Shinobi World War ended, Masaru left the Land of Bellows to wander the world, where he came across the young Hoga woman once again. Both her beauty and her feisty spirit had captivated him, and he finally found the courage to ask her out a month later. Unable to say no to his down-to-earth attitude and irresistible charm, she accepted and they had been inseparable ever since.

The first year they were together, he had seen a white gold bracelet with diamond accents in a store window. He didn't have the money at the time, but vowed he would buy it for her someday. That day came on her nineteenth birthday, after they were promoted to Jounin. The following year, he gave her the only thing he had yet to give; a promise of forever and a simple, but still gorgeous engagement ring.

They had been happily married for a year when Nariko became pregnant with Yuna. They were both overjoyed; Marsaru, if it was possible, was even more ecstatic than his wife, and from the moment he laid eyes on Yuna in the hospital, he was in love.

However, things took a turn for the worse when Yuna turned five. While training with her cousin, she was pushed back into a corner and unintentionally released a new kekkei genkai, creating several large carbon spikes around her. The clan leader, Masaru's father, Taizo, was angered that his oldest son hid the fact that the woman he impregnated was a Hoga.

After long deliberation, Taizo decided to leave things as they were in fear that war would be brought down upon them from the Sand Village if they were to eliminate the young Hoga and her mother. So he decided to see how things played out. If the child or her mother became a threat, then it would be handled accordingly.

Nariko blinked back her tears and bit down on her trembling lip as she got down on her knees in front of Yuna and wrapped her arms around her, hugging her close. "Oh, Yuna." she said, "You didn't do anything wrong, darling."

"Then if I didn't do anything, then why? Is there something wrong with me?"

"No baby, there is nothing wrong with you." She smiled, taking her small hand in her own and squeezing it in a display of affection. "You are beautiful, you are well-loved, and you are exactly the way you are supposed to be."

"Your mother's right," the familiar voice had both of their heads turning.

Nariko stood slowly, wiping away the remnants of her tears with her hand. "Dear..."

Yuna's father placed a warm hand on top of her head, his lips curving into a soft smile. "Different is special. You're beautiful Yuna. Inside and out." He said. "Always remember that you can be whoever you want to be."

Yuna shared his smile. "Really?"

"Really," he replied, and her smile widens. "No matter what happens, never give up on your dreams."