CHAPTER SIX

A/N: OMG. Sorry for the late update once again. As I stated in my activity log, I got a new computer so I have been busy dealing with that. Thanks to the SEVERAL people who favorite/followed Mine to Take as well as those who took the time to review. Please keep it coming. :)

CHAPTER SIX

The past few weeks in Konoha had been pretty eventful. Yuna and Ataru were officially assigned their third member to their team, Ryōgi, a former member of the Byakuya Gang who stole from the rich and then sold the goods, in an effort to distribute the proceeds to the poor. But thanks to Shikadai's unwavering loyalty to him, Ryōgi was able to let go of his past and answer for his mistakes.

But despite knowing Ryōgi for a short period of time, to Yuna, he was family; another older brother to watch over her. Her family welcomed him with open arms, inviting him over every night for dinner so he wouldn't be alone.

There was still no sign of Ryuuji much to Yuna's relief, but she still kept a watchful eye for him just in case.

She continued to train with her new friends and slowly began to learn a little more about each and every one of them. However, the person she knew the least about was the person who spoke to her the least. She tried several times to get Boruto to lighten up around her, but he never dropped his guard.

"She's trying, Boruto," Shikadai said from his spot in Boruto's bedroom. In his hands he thumbed the buttons below the screen of a handheld video game. Shikadai had taken it upon himself to invite himself over to Boruto's, unannounced, for a guy's night in. Denki, Inojin and Mitsuki were due to arrive at any minute. "But you seriously need to cut her some slack. She's confused about how you feel about her as much as you being afraid of her."

Boruto tore his eyes away from his handheld game to look at his friend. "I'm not afraid of her."

"You're afraid of letting down your guard and letting her in. Ever since Kawaki...died, you haven't let anyone else into your circle."

"I have enough friends."

"That's not the point. Well, not all of it. We're shinobi. We have to be able to work well with people outside our social group. Making friends with someone who might be on your team in the future isn't such a bad idea."

Boruto rolled his eyes and looked out the window. Outside, the rain came down hard and the wind whipped sheets of water against the glass. Branches bent in the wind, bowing to a higher power. The dark sky flashed bright with lightning, and thunder boomed, loud enough to shake the windows and flicker the lights in the house.

His mother tapped at the door and stuck in her head.

Boruto turned his attention to his mother and said, "What's up, mom?"

"I'm sorry to bother you, but do you think you can run to the store and get some candles before the power goes out?"

"Sure thing."

Boruto uncrossed his legs and hopped off the bed before grabbing his black raincoat off the hook on the wall. "You want me to tag along?" Shikadai asked as he eyed his friend.

"Nah, I'll be back shortly." Without another word, Boruto exited his room. Shikadai looked at the small black wallet sitting on his desk before looking back at the door. He thought about going after Boruto, but decided that his game was more important.

The wind, rain, and leaves made it difficult for Boruto to catch his bearings the first few steps outside of his house. Lightning continued to flash, making the clouds blink. It was rare for it to rain this hard in Konoha and he silently thanked Kami for allowing him to live in a place where the weather was almost always perfect.