CHAPTER FOURTEEN

A/N: Thanks to all those who reviewed/favorite/followed Mine to Take. As always, it means a lot and gives me a ton of motivation to continue forward. So please keep it up! I broke this chapter down into two parts so I could update a little quicker for you all. Currently working on the next chapter. :)

CHAPTER FOURTEEN

The moment Yuna opened her eyes the next morning; she knew it wasn't going to be a good day. She had a headache, a real monster, gnawing her brain, trying to get out through her skull. Her body was stiff and achy and it felt like someone had beaten the hell out of her while she slept on blissfully unaware.

She dragged herself to the bathroom, practically crawling in her pain, and took a hot shower while she channeled the chakra within her body to sore muscles, draining away stagnant lactic acid and letting the water beat some life into her tired body.

She wasn't ready to get out of the safe haven of the bathroom and start her day, but she couldn't stay in there forever. Today was her first day back since battle with Ryuuji and the Hokage wanted them over at the academy, claiming that they were short handed and that their assistance would be much appreciated.

Securing the towel around her chest, she went to the sink and smeared toothpaste on her purple handled toothbrush. While waiting for the water to get hot, she realized she had no memory of having gone to bed. She thought it was one thing not remembering falling asleep-that happened every night, she knew-but she did not think it was possible to not remember coming to her room and going to bed.

She spit and rinsed her mouth before picking up a hairbrush from the medicine cabinet, and brushed out her tangles.

Suddenly, she stilled as she felt a familiar presence behind her. Ataru reached around her to grab the toothbrush he had left on the sink.

Apparently, the sounds of her getting ready for the day had been enough to wake him.

For some reason, she was quite aware of the body heat he was radiating onto her back and of the brush of his arm against her shoulder as he leaned over to wet his toothbrush under the facet.

Hesitantly, she lifted her eyes to meet his in the mirror and was surprised to find he was looking rather haggard. It looked like there were dark circles under his eyes as if he hadn't slept much and his face looked gaunt and drawn. She couldn't remember ever seeing him like this. There were missions she had gone on with him when he had kept watch the entire night and hadn't looked this bad in the morning.

"Good morning," she said quietly as she reached into the medicine cabinet for an aspirin.

"Morning," Ataru replied groggily before wrinkling his brow in concern. "Does your head hurt?"

"Uh-huh," she replied, swallowing down two pills with some faucet water. "Not sure what brought it on, but it hurts like hell."

Ataru was no idiot. The headache she was experiencing was no doubt attributed to his kekkei genkai; it was like waking up with a bad hangover. A smile formed on his lips at the fact that the kunoichi had no recollection of what had happened to her last night. Perfect. It seemed everything his ability had worked beautifully.

"It's probably caused from all the sugar you ingested last night," he lied. "I told you to slow down, but you didn't want to listen."

"Yeah, that sounds like something I would do." she said. "It's just...weird. I don't even remember heading off to bed."

"That's because you crashed halfway through the second movie, so I carried you upstairs to your bed."

"Oh..."