CHAPTER NINETEEN

CHAPTER NINETEEN

A light, howling wind blew around the area, with it being stronger on the ridge. Boruto looked down at the kunai in his hand and frowned. He clutched the hilt of the weapon tightly in his hand. He was going to go down there. Somehow, he needed to, but...everyone else.

Though the shinobi from the Land of Berries had retreated, he knew they would be back to make sure they had carried out their mission. Out of the three squads from Kirigakure, one was almost completely without harm. The rest, including his team, were looking a bit worse for wear. They all needed to rest up, tend to any wounds, and try to recover as much chakra as possible for the next encounter with the rogue shinobi.

But Captain Ryouta, the envoy...Yuna."

Things were looking grim at the moment, but he knew if anything, she would be relatively alright. He didn't know how far a drop into that dark chasm there was, but he knew that Yuna was skilled enough to handle herself. He also didn't know what skills Captain Ryouta possessed, but as long as the envoy was with them, then he would do everything in his power to protect him, including Yuna. It still didn't sit well with him though that she was mostly on her own, and who knew if she had been injured or not by the fall. He could have done something different, he could have ran to her aid in the beginning. Those different thoughts kept floating around in his head, and he couldn't help but feel responsible in some way.

There was one thing that was clear now though, and it was that the rogue shinobi from the Land of Berries were responsible for the earlier attempts on the envoy's life. Though Ryouta was at first a suspicious character, but his action earlier told him that he was loyal to his village, as well as a solid ally to Konoha as he risked his life for a shinobi of the Leaf.

"Boruto..."

Boruto didn't move or respond in any way to Sarada's call from close behind, still staring down at the kunai in his hand.

"We need to regroup and tend to everyone's injuries. I'm sorry, but...we'll have to go after Yuna and the others after we come up with a plan." She reluctantly spoke as she turned her head away from the dark abyss below.

Off behind them, the mixed groups of shinobi were helping each other as well as any injured attendants belonging to the envoy, to safer grounds; opting to backtrack a small bit and take cover in the woods.

"Boruto." Sarada took a step forward to try to gain the whiskered teen's attention once again, but was stopped by a hand on her shoulder from behind.

She turned to see Mitsuki.

"Let him be for a while. I'll check on him after we move everyone."

"But-"

"We did some heavy damage. They won't come stalking around here for a while, at least not until they regroup themselves and heal up like we are now. Just give him some time alone for right now."

~MINE TO TAKE~

The sounds of the earth crumbling from above caused Captain Ryouta and Yuna to nervously glance upward, sitting in silence for a moment; waiting to see if any immediate action was needed. Yūhei sat on his knees, with a sleeve up to his face as he silently whimpered. They could see the small, far off rays of light from above. They had fallen indeed a great distance, but thanks to a technique used by Captain Ryouta, they had been saved from fatal impact.

The meteor hammer that he had, was able to somehow make several chains spread out, much like a web, and embeded themselves into the walls, catching them. There was a bit of a downfall to the technique though. The chains were so heavy, that the walls had caved in and had caused them to fall the rest of twenty five feet to the ground, with Captain Ryouta cushioning Yūhei's fall. Not exactly a graceful fall, but it was better than falling the entire way down without some kind of safety.