CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE

A/N: Thanks for all the amazing feedback on the previous chapter, even if most of it was about you all wanting to kill Ataru, lol. I still loved every single comment. Thanks to all those who favorite/followed/reviewed Mine to Take. As always, it means a lot and I appreciate each and every one of you.

Not sure if anyone saw the post in my journal entry on QuoteV of the contest. If you're interested, please enter. :) I will be extended the date.

We're about three quarters away from this story ending. So it's getting rather close. Which means, things are going to get a lot more serious. Rated M for mature. :)

CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE

From her spot on the examination table, Yuna recounted the events that evening to the officer in a halting, quiet voice, watching her parents go pale and grimace at some parts. She reached over to the glass of water and took a welcome sip, trying to bring her erratic heart rate under control.

"Miss Katayama, we're going to need a written statement if you're wanting to press charges against Ataru."

Yuna closed her eyes and rubbed her forehead trying to fathom how they got to this.

Her mother put an around her, pulling her close. Her face remained impassive as she regarded the officer.

"We really need to wrap this up, please."

He hesitated a moment before nodding.

"We'll finish this another time, Miss Katayama. You rest." The officer tucked his notebook away and stood. "And don't worry about Ataru. We've got enough to hold him. He won't be going anywhere."

"He's in custody?" Yuna asked.

"Yes," he said. "Although Konohamaru is here under guard. They had to remove the ice spike Ryōgi left in him as well as the frostbite he endured during their altercation."

Oh shit. Ataru is here?

Yuna paled. Her empty stomach convulsed, tears prick her eyes, and a deep shudder ran through her.

"Hey." Her father stepped forward, his voice filled with concern. Taking the glass from her hand, he tenderly folded her into his arms. "You're safe now," he murmured against her hair, his voice hoarse.

"Daddy, I'm so sorry." Her tears start to fall.

"Hush." He stroked her hair, and she wept into his neck.

"It's all my fault."

"This isn't your fault, Yuna." He assured. "You're not responsible for his actions."

She opened her mouth to speak but a familiar voice sounded outside the door.

"Please. You don't understand; I have to see her."

"Young Lord, you really-"

The nurse never had a chance to finish as the door slid open with a clang, and there in the entrance stood a dismayed Boruto. He's dressed in just his shirtsleeves and drawstring pants. He looked tired, dirty, and utterly beautiful.

She drank in the sight of him and relief coursed through her, leaving her spent, exhausted, and completely elated. Yet her tears don't stop.

"Boruto-kun..."

He moved toward her, blue eyes bright though weary and anxious. From somewhere deep inside, she found the strength to stagger to her feet and bolt into his open arms.

"Boruto!" she sobbed.

"Hey," he said and held her, burying his face in her hair and inhaling deeply. She raised her tearstained face to his, and he kissed her far too briefly.